Mice are not nice

/ Mice are not nice #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
I shared this on the Kubota Forum, but I thought it would be beneficial to repost the picture here. This is from my Kubota ZD1211 mower. The engine would not turn over and I couldn't figure out why, since it ran perfectly when parked for the season.

For a while now, I've been concerned about the possibility of mice infiltrating the air filter of my 1845. It seems like the perfect haven for them, one they'd likely not resist. I've been planning to 3D print a cap to cover the opening when the tractor is stored during the winter months. Additionally, I'd print a ring to place over the steering wheel as a visual reminder to remove the cap before use. Although it might be challenging for a mouse to gnaw through the air filter, it wouldn't surprise me. Especially if they realized how much damage this could do to the engine.

I've experienced a mouse infestation in the area beneath the oil radiator before, and the damage was significant; the urine alone was enough to corrode and rust through the high-pressure fuel injection lines. Nowadays, I opt to leave the cover off during the winter. It seems almost every piece of equipment I own has suffered from mouse-related damage at some point. Despite my efforts, I've yet to find an effective method to deter them.

Attachments

• Kubota.png
    Kubota.png
    977.2 KB · Views: 91
   / Mice are not nice #2  
Little rascals filled the exhaust tract on our combine engine with soybeans many years ago. Fortunately they filled it to overflowing so we spotted problem before trying to start it up.

/ Mice are not nice #3  
This worked for me, spend some $$ and get a bunch of these rotary traps. I have caught half dozen at one time.
1711220293559.png

/ Mice are not nice
This worked for me, spend some $$ and get a bunch of these rotary traps. I have caught half dozen at one time. View attachment 858675

Do you bait it? I notice they say you don't have to use bait.

I have two miniature dachshunds who have their nose in everything. The sticky traps work pretty good but I don't use them in the garage due to the dogs. This trap looks safer and more humane.

/ Mice are not nice #5  
Used to but not lately. I give barn access to our outside cats and they take care of any impending issues. Only issue I have with that is, they like to sleep on the tractor hoods plus I have a couple bucket traps to get any stragglers.

/ Mice are not nice #6  
Several here with late model cars suffered extensive rodent damage...

Mostly chewed through wire harness.

Sever times my dozer was down... The nylon oil pressure gauge line gnawed through.

I substituted copper and no reoccurrence.

My thought is rodents are becoming more of a problem... not sure why.

/ Mice are not nice #7  
Lets try Global Warming.... That seems to be the repository for all that isn't right. Just ask the current climate czar who jets around in his private jet spewing tons of carbon dioxide and other stuff everywhere.

Been said that the 'Meek shall inherit the earth' Mice fall into that category along with cockroaches.

/ Mice are not nice #8  
I have had one of those rotary traps here for going on decades. Mouse tally = 0, no matter where I place it. If I put a Black Cat trap down where I had the rotary, mice. I guess the mice are different out here...

@marrt Sorry to here about your problem. "Welcome to the club! We have jackets..."

If it were me, I would go for screening. I did that after some enterprising mice filled our CAT 3126 air filter and intake housing full of acorns. Luckily, I was doing a pre ignition check, happened to bump the air intake, and a couple of acorns fell to the ground. My thoughts were along the lines of "WTH?!?". Even so, I could not believe how well packed the acorns were, close to four gallons worth. Thankfully, they stopped at the filter. I have had other episodes where the chewed through the filter and kept going which is far worse.

I just got done with cleaning out the cabin air intake on my pickup; the mice had moved in to the cowling below the windshield and absolutely stuffed it with nesting material that got wet/damp when I drove the truck in some rain. It literally took days to disassemble the engine side cowling, vacuum up material, then switch to an extra long under refrigerator vacuum, then wash it down, rinse it, blow it, and then clean the fan in the cabin, along with the AC and heater cores. For some reason, on this truck, three feet of the air intake below the windshield is integral to the body in this truck, and the only access is behind/through the windshield wiper mechanism. To get to the other side requires removing most of the dash. Not readily repairable compared to some vehicles that I have owned.

Did I mention that we were in between having barn cats? (Old age/covid) We never had any of these issues when we had cats.

My real fear with mice is wiring. It is so easy for them to nest on an engine and take a liking to a wiring harness that costs thousands just for the part.

All the best,

Peter

/ Mice are not nice #10  
Several here with late model cars suffered extensive rodent damage...

Mostly chewed through wire harness.

Sever times my dozer was down... The nylon oil pressure gauge line gnawed through.

I substituted copper and no reoccurrence.

Warm winters are said to favor increased rodent populations, as does wet winters, both which we have had recently...