Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #21  
I had a tractor backhoe for 4 years, sold it, and bought a mini-ex.

As a very general rule of thumb, the bucket breakout force of a mini is about equal to its weight.
The bucket breakout force of a backhoe, with subframe, on a tractor is *maybe* 2/3 that (i.e., weight of tractor, though it's less the determining factor -- just big picture)

On the other hand, a backhoe might add 20-30% to the cost of your tractor, while a separate, non-Chinese mini-ex, similarly sized, is similar to the cost of the tractor itself. But keeps resale value better.

Tracked miniexes move a lot more slowly than tractors, to get to where you need them. On the other hand, miniexes are a lot more mobile when working. Jumping off the backhoe seat, into the tractor seat, lifting the stabilizers, and moving 2 feet; and then doing it all in reverse, gets old pretty quickly. Only you can tell which will be more of a challenge in your situation.

Backhoes without a subframe are sub-par. With subframe, they're a bit of a hassle to take on and off. Doable, and depends a bit on the brand and tractor model, but don't kid yourself you'll do it on a whim like taking on/off a box blade attachment.

I think the jury's still out on Chinese miniexes - superficially very attractive, but I think only suitable for people who are more mechanically inclined, and have better equipped shops, than I do.

Bottom line is I'm happy I now have a miniex, and knowing what I know now about my needs, wish I had bought one from the get go. On the other hand, going the tractor+backhoe route served me in good stead for a few years, and my ownership cost after sale didn't exceed U$2000. So I'm not mad I did what I did either. A classic "if you have the $" vs "I want it now" tradeoff.

Last edited:
   / Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #22  
My Deere 110 has the creeper control right at the backhoe so no need to flip the seat unless going distance.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #23  
My Deere 110 has the creeper control right at the backhoe so no need to flip the seat unless going distance.
That's a great improvement. If mine had offered that, I might still have it.
That said, the way a miniex can move is amazing and no comparison to creeping.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #24  
That's a great improvement. If mine had offered that, I might still have it.
That said, the way a miniex can move is amazing and no comparison to creeping.
The person I bought the 110 from replaced it with a skid steer and mini excavator and has a special dump trailer to haul to job sites.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #25  
A mini-ex is more stable on nasty ground--where you'll get a wheeled tractor buried quickly. If you can afford buying one, getting your use out of it and then parting with it or keeping it for the rainy day, you'll be better served.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #26  
Hey all,

I decided last fall I could really use a backhoe/mini ex for a bunch of projects around my property. Renting is complicated due to the frequent but short time I would need to dig, figured I would sell when i'm done or decide i cant live without it. These projects include:
*Dig up poles to repair with perma columns on a 32x64 barn
*install French drain around barn (one side built into a hill)
*trenching underground power to house
*replacing several culverts
*trenching upgraded power to pole barn
*Lots of grading and fixing drainage areas around pole barn / dealing with whatever I find buried (lots of old buulding remains)

I started out thinking adding a BH77 to my Kubota L2501 but read on here that a mini ex is far superior.

Next I looked at 2 ton machines -kubota u17, takeuchi tb216 and deere 17g but was concerned with the capability of these, used prices seemed obtainable; I've seen several 17g's around 22k with a thumb and three buckets under 1000 hrs.

Next I started considering 3 ton machines. Currently trying to talk myself into a deere 26g, really like the machine but finding once you buy a decent one and add buckets and a thumb your pushing high 20k prices, which I'm struggling to justify to myself.

Would I be disappointed with the smaller 2 ton machine for these types of projects or is the 3 ton worth the extra cost? Or even go back to my original plan and add a BH77 to the kubota?
I have a IHI 15 NX which is a 2 ton machine and a very happy with it. I bought it used and other than normal hose replacement it has been trouble free. I built a thumb and can pickup a rock about 2 ft in diameter. Built a 8 inch bucket for small trenches, it came with a 12 inch and I also built a 36 inch non tooth bucket for landscaping and moving material. Nice thing about a 2 ton is it is small enough to move on a car trailer being a pickup. After using a mini you will never want to go back to a small tractor with a hoe attachment. But never buy a 1 ton hoe. Total useless except for hydraulic jackhammer use

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #27  
I love my 1ton. Biggest thing that holds it back is the hydraulics are stronger than what the machine weighs. I need to add a counter weight
Up put the bucket down and lift the machine. You will never be able to counter weigh that prolbem. I one ton is a great Machine for a hyd jackhammer in small areas and not much else

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #28  
I’d rather have a clapped out name brand excavator over a brand new China one. They’re complete garbage from everything I’ve seen.
I bought a 3.5 ton Chinese "Jiahe" brand. So far, takes whatever I have thrown at it.
Are there some Chinese junk? I'm sure. Are there name brand junk? I'm sure.

To OP, this machine I have cost $33,400 by the time it was landed in my yard with all the tariffs, shipping, EPA, etc. Kubota D1703 power plant in it. Hyd thumb, A/C, heat, hyd. quick attach, rake, 3 buckets, and with steel tracks weighs in at about 8,800lbs. I move it on a tandem dually gooseneck.

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #29  
I’d rather have a clapped out name brand excavator over a brand new China one. They’re complete garbage from everything I’ve seen.
Ya that's what people said when I bought my very first new car going to high school and working partime. Your wasting your $2200 on the 1971 Toyota Corolla. Made of old beer cans they said. 200.000 miles later sold it to the neighbors for 500 bucks. Would not be surprised if they were not still using it

/ Bh77 vs mini excavator / excavator size #30  
Ya that's what people said when I bought my very first new car going to high school and working partime. Your wasting your $2200 on the 1971 Toyota Corolla. Made of old beer cans they said. 200.000 miles later sold it to the neighbors for 500 bucks. Would not be surprised if they were not still using it

That’s a completely different comparison. There’s a couple Chinese excavators that are good but they also cost much more comparable to a name brand. The ones for like 5k that have become pretty popular are completely garbage. If they last 300 hours and the homeowner is satisfied with his purchase that’s fine but it doesn’t change the fact it’s junk.