An EV??????`

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / An EV??????` #411  
How dare you post a feel good EV story. Don't you know there will be rolling blackouts across the U.S.? ;)
Give us an update how you like the Fisker after a few weeks of driving. That's a really good deal.
I'm deploying my own solar system. Panels are so cheap they're almost free. I'm also deploying a huge battery pack, since the price of that has come through the floor. 90kwh is a 3 day supply for the house. Plus the fisker has a 113kwh battery, and supports powering the house as well.

Solar sort of makes sense, but if power goes out, your panels don't produce. That's why I'm making an off grid system. This was not economical until very recently with the introduction of the lifepo4 chemstry and it's plummeting prices. A 15kwh battery is now $1500, and the price is dropping. And that's not the kind that bursts into flames, they are stable.

/ An EV??????` #413  
Assuming you can't charge at your home there is a bank of superchargers with 10 miles of you at the Buc-ees in Terrell, Tx.

Texas power plants

Define "longer range"? You need to stop reading anti-EV news sources and test drive a Tesla Y or Tesla 3.
I wouldn't buy a tesla. To much "technology" I like my stuff on the simpler side. I don't like their lack of buttons, and I think they're visibly unappealing.

/ An EV??????` #414  
Panels are so cheap they're almost free. I'm also deploying a huge battery pack.

A 15kwh battery is now $1500
$1.5k is far from “free”, and that’s just one battery. Now add more batteries, panels, wiring, permits, installation, insurance, panels,inverters ,etc.
“Almost free”?🤔

/ An EV??????` #415  
$1.5k is far from “free”, and that’s just one battery. Now add more batteries, panels, wiring, permits, installation, insurance, panels,inverters ,etc.
“Almost free”?🤔
How much do you pay for electricity every month? I pay about $500. An off grid system for me is about 8k in batteries, 3k in panels, 3k in inverters. Add in some wire, and round to 15k. No electric bill, and paid for itself in 2.5 years. That's about what a whole house backup generator costs. I'm not backing up in case the grid fails, i'm replacing the grid.

And I can do it in stages. I can add things on slowly. I have 4.2kw in panels I paid 1k for, i have 15kwh battery for $1500, and a 3k inverter for $500. That will drop my bill by about $100/mo alone. When I'm ready, I can add another battery, another inverter, and another panel array. My bus bar's are huge, plenty of space for 6 inverters and 6 batteries.

/ An EV??????` #416  
Too far from everything? Say wut! You are literally 35 miles to the center of Dallas. 😅
That's the same drive I have from my small rural town to Texarkana, Tx.
Yeah it seems close, but the traffic is getting worse and worse. We are in the fastest growing county in Texas. The roads appear to be lagging behind. They have plans to build enough houses and apartments in Crandall to put possibly another 30k to 50k people there. The infrastructure is going in now. Many of them will commute to Dallas, which is not far away. Problem is the freeway there is 2 lanes each way. I can't wait. Any time we go to a decent store it is more than 30 - 45 minutes away unless we want to go somewhere that is almost always out of something we want to buy or has a limited selection. Try driving in traffic for an hour or more each way to commute with 100 degree temps and the a/c running full blast. What does that do to the EV range? I'd likely have to recharge at work somehow. I know some offices have charging stations, but not all of them. When we moved out here I could get to the office in an hour and 15 minutes and rarely see an accident. Where I had to go was a little over 60 miles each way. It was a relaxing drive with little traffic most of the time. I did not mind driving then and used the time to relax or shop on the way home. That was 20 years ago. For now I will stick with my ICE until they increase the EV range instead of making them all fast or they force me to. And yes we did chose to move out here. It was peaceful and we loved it. It is no longer quiet out here. It takes 20 minutes to get to Kaufman where there is a walmart that is slightly smaller than most of the big ones. It doesn't carry a lot of things we buy. Most of the time I go there I can't get everything on my list. There are a couple of other stores. Prices are higher and unless they have a sale it is a rip off. It is easier for me to drive to Corsicana than Dallas. I can be in Tyler in less time than it takes me to drive to the old office I used to go to in Dallas. So just because it says Dallas is so close on the map doesn't mean I can get there fast. It is a 45 to 50 minute drive to Downtown Dallas when it is not rush hour and there are no accidents. Sorry for getting long winded, but it hit a nerve when I started thinking about the traffic and how much it has changed.

/ An EV??????` #417  
Plenty of electricity available at night as the most energy demand appliances aren't used then. Don't be a worry wart.
Not in the summer when it can be 90 degrees a at midnight in North Texas. All that concrete in DFW makes for some really warm nights with a/c running full blast.

/ An EV??????` #418  
Was it just algae and plants? One theory has it was also animals such as dinosaurs.
The scientific community says Algae and plants. I defer to their expertise.

/ An EV??????` #419  
I just bought an ev. Yesterday. It should be here in 2 weeks. It has a 360 mile range, and I only plan to charge at home. It's not my only vehicle. A full charge on a public high speed charging station for 360 miles is $25. To do it at home from a grid is $12. But I'm putting up solar to charge, so it will be free.

I didn't plan on buying an EV, I was actually about to buy a range rover. However, Fisker automotive put their 2023 models on sale for 40% off, so it went from $62k to $37k, a significant price slash. So I looked into them, and found them to be pretty decent, especially for the discounted price. I also got the tow package as well. It has 576hp, so that's plenty of power as well.
That's good news. Keep us posted on how things go. From what I'm reading, the deal you got is good. While there's a lot of unknowns, at least you know your maximum investment and that it is low.🙂

/ An EV??????` #420  
I just bought an ev. Yesterday. It should be here in 2 weeks. It has a 360 mile range, and I only plan to charge at home. It's not my only vehicle. A full charge on a public high speed charging station for 360 miles is $25. To do it at home from a grid is $12. But I'm putting up solar to charge, so it will be free.

I didn't plan on buying an EV, I was actually about to buy a range rover. However, Fisker automotive put their 2023 models on sale for 40% off, so it went from $62k to $37k, a significant price slash. So I looked into them, and found them to be pretty decent, especially for the discounted price. I also got the tow package as well. It has 576hp, so that's plenty of power as well.

Well one could drill their own oil well, start up a small refinery, and then the gas for your ICE car would also be free.

I'm glad that I have helped pay for your car thru my taxes. Unforintinly, I'm still driving a 20 plus some years old car as I can not afford a new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.