An EV??????`

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / An EV??????` #401  
One of the biggest problems has been the lack of power lines to carry all that power from where the turbines and solar panels are to where the power is needed.
Similar to getting it to charging stations in remote areas, just on a bigger scale.

/ An EV??????` #402  
I rest just fine, thanks, since I have no desire to buy an EV.

Whether it'd cost $25K or $100K is irrelevant. It still wouldn't work for me. Well, one could if I moved, but I have no plans to do that, either.
Why does that link to the plan that Gale posted make me think of an old man with a long extension cord looking for somewhere to plug it in?

/ An EV??????` #403  
The freezing temps causing issues was a failure of ERCOT to hold power plants accountable. They were assured the plants were ready for bad weather, but it was proven they were not. I've lived in Texas since 68, and I have seen numerous times where we had cold wether for more than a few days. Just becaue it doesn't happen every year doesn't mean it won't. Global warming er climate change has not fixed that problem yet. This has more to do with an agency that was set up to ensure we have adequate power not doing it's job than with being independent. We still do not have enough generating capacity if we get another freeze or cloudy not windy days that disrupts the solar and wind power generation. One of the biggest problems has been the lack of power lines to carry all that power from where the turbines and solar panels are to where the power is needed. Connecting to another state's grid doesn't fix that without more power lines. ERCOT seems to me to be failing to plan for the massive population growth we have. That is what has me more concerned than anything. I don't want to lose power when it is 100 plus degrees here. Sometimes it is 90 at midnight in the summer.

Thank you for the explanation. Hearing from people that actually have lived there for an extended time usually do have the inside scoop on what is really going on.

/ An EV??????` #404  
There is nowhere to charge anywhere near us. I mean within 20 miles that I am aware of. The Texas power grid is so under powered with all the people moving here and no new power plants being built. A number of coal powered plants have been shut down. We only seem to be getting new wind and solar installations. ERCOT has already started their conserve energy pitch, and it hasn't even gotten hot yet. What will happen if they replace just 10 percent of ICE vehicles with EVs? I know what will happen, power outages and rolling blackouts when it gets hot or cold. I'm considering a backup whole house generator. Should they force everyone to install wind and solar to charge their EVs? That might be the only way to prevent a grid failure in Texas if this insanity continues. Oh and see what the kWh rate goes to when the grid doesn't have enough power like the winter storm we had a few years ago. Then tell me the prices is stable. I'm not completely against EVs. If they would make them more efficient to get longer range and use less energy instead of trying to scream about 0 to 60 times compared ICE vehicles they would cost much less and be a more viable option for way more people.

Assuming you can't charge at your home there is a bank of superchargers with 10 miles of you at the Buc-ees in Terrell, Tx.

Texas power plants
  • In 2022, Texas produced more electricity than any other state and generated twice as much as second-place Florida. Texas accounted for more than 12% of the nation's total electricity net generation that year.

Define "longer range"? You need to stop reading anti-EV news sources and test drive a Tesla Y or Tesla 3.

/ An EV??????` #405  
And whose song are the schools singing?
One would be an idiot to choose a College in my opinion to spend money at, in an attempt to get an education if their educational curriculum consisted solely of one political or religious ideology. One hopefully goes to school to broaden and expand their core knowledge base not truncate and buttress it.

/ An EV??????` #406  
Successful? Why does ERCOT in Texas always start telling us to conserve energy? Gee it's cloudy today and the wind isn't blowing and only 5 million people moved here since our last fossil fuel or nuclear power plants were built. They worry every time it gets hot now. The conserve energy warnings are coming at lower and lower temps even before summer is here. Explain to me how this is working? I'm not saying storing energy can't work, but we are far from it working in Texas.
Plenty of electricity available at night as the most energy demand appliances aren't used then. Don't be a worry wart.

/ An EV??????` #407  
I just bought an ev. Yesterday. It should be here in 2 weeks. It has a 360 mile range, and I only plan to charge at home. It's not my only vehicle. A full charge on a public high speed charging station for 360 miles is $25. To do it at home from a grid is $12. But I'm putting up solar to charge, so it will be free.

I didn't plan on buying an EV, I was actually about to buy a range rover. However, Fisker automotive put their 2023 models on sale for 40% off, so it went from $62k to $37k, a significant price slash. So I looked into them, and found them to be pretty decent, especially for the discounted price. I also got the tow package as well. It has 576hp, so that's plenty of power as well.
How dare you post a feel good EV story. Don't you know there will be rolling blackouts across the U.S.? ;)
Give us an update how you like the Fisker after a few weeks of driving. That's a really good deal.

• Good Post
Reactions: RB5
   / An EV??????` #408  
Why does that link to the plan that Gale posted make me think of an old man with a long extension cord looking for somewhere to plug it in?
Lived in a neighborhood one time that had such a resident. :):p

/ An EV??????` #409  
Good deal. EVs work for some people and that deal sounds like it may save you some money over the long term. I live too far from everything to make an EV practical. As I have said before EVs are good in certain situations.
Too far from everything? Say wut! You are literally 35 miles to the center of Dallas. 😅
That's the same drive I have from my small rural town to Texarkana, Tx.

Status
Not open for further replies.