Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt?

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #1  

RockCreek

Tractor
Kubota L4240
I currently have a 900' driveway that will need to be finished once our house is complete. I recently saw an ad for recycled asphalt and want to know if anyone had any luck or experience with this. It is cheaper than crush and run. I've heard that once it is compacted, that it smoothes out like a paved road. Just wanted to hear your guys opinion. I rather do it right the first time and not waste my time and money. Thanks for looking.....

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #2  
It does work well, but you still need the a solid C/R base that is packed well.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #3  
I have put asphalt millings on my driveway which is about 450' long and extremely steep. I started with regular gravel and found I was chasing it down the driveway everytime it rained. The cost of the millings is almost the same as gravel, but you want to make sure to get some fresh millings if there's a road project going on close by, you can usually get a good deal. Once this is packed in and on a solid base, it will set up just like asphalt, not quite as smooth, but a 1/4 the cost of asphalt. I even sealed my driveway and saved over $8000 to what it would cost to put regular blacktop on and it's 4-6" thick all the way through so I have no problem running fully loaded dump trucks on it and don't have to worry about it breaking up. The main thing is, make sure you have a solid, stable base!

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #4  
Recycled alphalt drives are real popular in these parts of SC mainly because of the lower price. However, I am not a fan of it and I think it's overrated. Yes, it will flatten down but it will not ever lay out flat and smooth like macadam or black top roadways. The edges will continue to break off a bit at a time making it risky to mow along.

If you can't afford all concrete, then spend a little extra to do a blacktop driveway with first pass materials.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #5  
Recycled asphalt--great stuff, will not erode as crushed rock will do and over a short enough time it will actually re-bond to a 'macadam' like texture.
Mine was done about 15 years ago and has stood up really well.
Trick is to have a 3-4 inch layer of it and let traffic/time do its thing.

Perfection would be to run a vibrator roller to compact it.

My drive was to hilly, so the applicator drove back and forth with a loaded dump truck that had bald tires for compaction. Did the trick!

Do it again in a flash.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #6  
I currently have a 900' driveway that will need to be finished once our house is complete. I recently saw an ad for recycled asphalt and want to know if anyone had any luck or experience with this. It is cheaper than crush and run. I've heard that once it is compacted, that it smoothes out like a paved road. Just wanted to hear your guys opinion. I rather do it right the first time and not waste my time and money. Thanks for looking.....

have the recycled asphalt put down, then have it rolled, then have some lean mix applied, sand it and you will have a decent top course to your stabilized subgrade.

soundguy

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #7  
Yep! Had some on my steep drive a few years ago after having seen it on another driveway. Worked quite well! The guy that did mine went over it with a vibratory roller:D:D, and I already had a good, solid base. It has held up well for 10+ years, with only minor touch-up. I'd recommend it. Next best thing to real paving, IMO.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #8  
If using recycled asphalt, order double grind or regrind. Straight off the milling machine, it gets kinda chunky. Have it tail gated at a spread rate of 4-6". Then add a hot coat of emulsifier, roll and enjoy. Just thoroughly wetting the material with water prior to rolling will give decent results too. The key is compaction and a smooth steel roller. They're cheap enough to rent and you'll be much happier with the end result.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #9  
I don't even recall what state I was driving through at the time, but I recently saw a machine that was not only grinding the roadway but literally recycling the material and re-laying it as it moved along. I thought it was not only pretty cool but figured it had to be saving time and resources. If more of those machines appear it may become more difficult to get their cast off grindings since there won't be any. I have no idea how well they work, suspect they'd work well, but you may want to get them while you can if you want them.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #10  
I don't even recall what state I was driving through at the time, but I recently saw a machine that was not only grinding the roadway but literally recycling the material and re-laying it as it moved along. I thought it was not only pretty cool but figured it had to be saving time and resources. If more of those machines appear it may become more difficult to get their cast off grindings since there won't be any. I have no idea how well they work, suspect they'd work well, but you may want to get them while you can if you want them.
Would hate to see that happen.