Anybody ever wash Labrador Retriever

/ Anybody ever wash Labrador Retriever #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
I'm keeping my son's dog while he and my wife take his kids to Disney World. The dog looks to be about half Chocolate Lab, maybe 60 pounds. I found that labs have an undercoat and I wasn't sure the water penetrate the undercoat. Is there a trick to washing a Lab.?

/ Anybody ever wash Labrador Retriever #2  
I'm keeping my son's dog while he and my wife take his kids to Disney World. The dog looks to be about half Chocolate Lab, maybe 60 pounds. I found that labs have an undercoat and I wasn't sure the water penetrate the undercoat. Is there a trick to washing a Lab.?

Yup .......try to keep the bugger from getting you soaked, when he shakes the water off.
There is nothing like a Lab!
We have a yellow lab female pup (Sadie) that just turned 7 months today.
No washing tricks that I am aware of.

/ Anybody ever wash Labrador Retriever #3  
First - will the lab enjoy/tolerate being washed. If not - then forget about doing it this time of year. A lab is best washed outside. A big tub - luke warm water and some type of "dog soap". Soap him up - gently hose him off. If he doesn't like the hose then buckets of luke warm water. I've always been able to use the garden hose. Sometime with a nozzle - some times without. You should be sure to get all of the soap off the dog.

Be prepared to get WET!!! I know of no "trick" to washing a dog. It's one big wet free-for-all.

/ Anybody ever wash Labrador Retriever #4  
W have a chocolate lab that weighs about 110 pounds. The trick I learned was to start young, use a walk in shower with removable shower head, and shut the bathroom door! Thankfully, my dog loves the water, as most labs do. Get the dog wet by taking the shower head and hold it right close to its body so it keeps the mess to a minimum. Soak and then start with the shampoo, then rinse, well. Chocolates are prone to skin irritation and you want to make sure it is rinsed well so you can dog sit again. Good Luck!

/ Anybody ever wash Labrador Retriever #5  
First - will the lab enjoy/tolerate being washed. If not - then forget about doing it this time of year. A lab is best washed outside. A big tub - luke warm water and some type of "dog soap". Soap him up - gently hose him off. If he doesn't like the hose then buckets of luke warm water. I've always been able to use the garden hose. Sometime with a nozzle - some times without. You should be sure to get all of the soap off the dog.

Be prepared to get WET!!! I know of no "trick" to washing a dog. It's one big wet free-for-all.
Couldn't say it better. Warm day outside and hope he likes it or you will not. If the dog likes it, consider it a party and have fun. Then after he is good and clean you can cringe as he dives and rolls around in the grass or worse! :laughing:

/ Anybody ever wash Labrador Retriever #6  
If he's used to getting bathes it may not be a problem. This time of year I sometimes take mine to the self serve dog wash. He acts like I'm torturing him and the first few times he put the brakes on- and when a 90 lb dog doesn't want to move, he doesn't. He's gotten used to it though, and will walk in off lead, even go up into the wash tub on his own... then get that look like I'm about to start beating him.

/ Anybody ever wash Labrador Retriever #7  
My Cocker Spaniel tolerates being washed. His next move after being washed - roll in fresh coyote or cow poop. I always have a collar on him when I wash him. Immediately on the leash. Inside where I will towel him off. By the time he is somewhat dry - he seems to have forgot about finding a "fresh pile".

He DOES NOT like going to the dog parlor. They wash him, cut his hair and he comes out smelling like a French Courtesan. REALLY have to keep an eye on his outside activities after a trip to the dog parlor.

View attachment 642647

/ Anybody ever wash Labrador Retriever
Yup .......try to keep the bugger from getting you soaked, when he shakes the water off.
There is nothing like a Lab!
We have a yellow lab female pup (Sadie) that just turned 7 months today.
No washing tricks that I am aware of.

I looked up labs and this mix has many of their distinguishing characteristics.
My last dog , probably a dachshund mix, was named Sadie and got me wetter than this lab mix. I still miss my Sadie.

Hi Oosik,
She tolerated the bath but I could tell she wanted out of the bathtub because she kept putting her head out side and draining water onto the floor and me. I don't think she objected to the water as much as to the whistling sound of the shower wand.
She hasn't been outside since her bath. When we go for a walk, I'll keep her on a short lead. Thank you for the tips.

BankerDude,
Thank you. This one felt like she weighed as much as yours when I tried to move her around in the tub, sixty pounds was just a guess. I didn't know about the skin irritation problems and will watch her closely for them. Shutting the door to the bathroom is very important.