I'm in peach heaven!

/ I'm in peach heaven! #31  
I've got Red Haven and Belle of Georgia trees....two of each. Peaches are an iffy thing here in Missouri, but I may get a few peaches if the tree rats, coons and possums let me. They seem to miss some of the Belle of Georgia, which comes on later and is a white peach, so I've actually tasted a homegrown peach a couple of years. There are a couple of commercial orchards near here, both mainly Red Haven, so we get some pretty nice peaches most Julys. Peach cobbler with home made ice cream is close to the best dessert I can imagine.

Chuck

/ I'm in peach heaven! #32  
Peach cobbler with home made ice cream is close to the best dessert I can imagine.

I can't think of anything better.:)

/ I'm in peach heaven!
Peach cobbler with home made ice cream is close to the best dessert I can imagine.

Chuck

I agree with you and Bird. I love fresh peach ice cream, but I think I'd just as well have homemade vanilla ice cream over fresh peaches. When the peaches freeze in the ice cream, it subdues their flavor in my opinion.

Dave1949: Very ripe peaches are always close to rotting, I guess. The ripe peaches I bought for $2, had what I would call bruising because there were dark spots that I cut off. What I call very ripe is when the peach is dark orange or red and super juicy. I don't eat brown spots, but I'll eat right up to them.;):D

EDIT: I just remembered that a few years ago when we built the bridge for TxDon at Harvey's place, Kathy made a huge fresh fruit salad. We bought grapes, fresh pineapple, local peaches (may have been frozen), strawberries, apples, oranges, bananas and other fruit I can't remember. We did not bring any fruit salad home. It was all eaten by both children and adults. In my opinion, that just goes to show you that people prefer good food that's good for you. People took cookies, cakes, and other desserts home and also chips, but the fruit salad disappeared and we took another one to the following party at TxDon's place. Same result! Children and adults know great food when they taste it. The idea that our children won't eat anything but junk food is just not true in my opinion.

Sorry...I'll step down off my soapbox now.:eek:

/ I'm in peach heaven! #34  
I agree with you and Bird. I love fresh peach ice cream, but I think I'd just as well have homemade vanilla ice cream over fresh peaches. When the peaches freeze in the ice cream, it subdues their flavor in my opinion.

Dave1949: Very ripe peaches are always close to rotting, I guess. The ripe peaches I bought for $2, had what I would call bruising because there were dark spots that I cut off. What I call very ripe is when the peach is dark orange or red and super juicy. I don't eat brown spots, but I'll eat right up to them.;):D

EDIT: I just remembered that a few years ago when we built the bridge for TxDon at Harvey's place, Kathy made a huge fresh fruit salad. We bought grapes, fresh pineapple, local peaches (may have been frozen), strawberries, apples, oranges, bananas and other fruit I can't remember. We did not bring any fruit salad home. It was all eaten by both children and adults. In my opinion, that just goes to show you that people prefer good food that's good for you. People took cookies, cakes, and other desserts home and also chips, but the fruit salad disappeared and we took another one to the following party at TxDon's place. Same result! Children and adults know great food when they taste it. The idea that our children won't eat anything but junk food is just not true in my opinion.

Sorry...I'll step down off my soapbox now.:eek:

Jim, I was pulling your leg, I would call those peaches 'dead' ripe, not rotting.

I think you are correct about the fresh fruit, of course the sugar content is very high, which doesn't hurt the attraction. :) No doubt the fresh fruit is loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. that aren't in the cookies & cakes.

One problem may be that we often eat sub-standard fruit and veggies and forget (or never knew) how good the real stuff can be.
Dave.

/ I'm in peach heaven! #35  
I just remembered that a few years ago when we built the bridge for TxDon at Harvey's place, Kathy made a huge fresh fruit salad. We bought grapes, fresh pineapple, local peaches (may have been frozen), strawberries, apples, oranges, bananas and other fruit I can't remember. We did not bring any fruit salad home. It was all eaten by both children and adults. In my opinion, that just goes to show you that people prefer good food that's good for you. People took cookies, cakes, and other desserts home and also chips, but the fruit salad disappeared and we took another one to the following party at TxDon's place. Same result! Children and adults know great food when they taste it. The idea that our children won't eat anything but junk food is just not true in my opinion.

Well, I'd sorta agree with you . . . but I also suspect it was just Kathy's recipe because she did such a good job.:)

/ I'm in peach heaven!
Well, I'd sorta agree with you . . . but I also suspect it was just Kathy's recipe because she did such a good job.:)

Yep! She always does a good job. My waistline is livin' proof.:eek:

/ I'm in peach heaven! #38  
I was really thinking of home made vanilla ice cream on the peach cobbler. I do like the peach ice cream, but I agree about the frozen fruit chunks....in fact for me that applies to all fruit ice creams. We recently made some ice cream with fresh cherries, and decided next time we'd blend up the fruits first. But my gosh, vanilla ice cream melting on hot fruit cobbler! It might even make me limit my beer consumption, at least until I finish dessert!

Chuck

/ I'm in peach heaven!
Last Sunday, my wife and I drove to Weatherford, TX to look for peaches. They have the "Parker County Peach Festival" there each year and it was the previous weekend. I figured people would still have lots of peaches for sale. Near the downtown area, there is a Farmer's Market that is open 7 days a week. We went there first and found the peaches were mostly okay, but a bit on the ripe side and priced at $30 for a half-bushel. We decided to drive around some and look for roadside stands.

Going on the highway toward Fort Worth, we only saw one stand and stopped to find that they had little baskets of peaches for $15 each. I don't think there was 15 peaches in that little basket, so we thanked them and left.

We headed back west of Weatherford and saw several stands (closed) and some orchards with signs by the highway saying they had peaches, but what caught our eye was one fellow and his wife sitting under a shade out in front of their orchard. They had about two bushels of very nice big peaches that looked freshly picked. They were pricing peaches by the pound and I asked if they would sell me a bushel. They said sure and that the bushel of peaches would be $30. Holy cow! They were asking the same price for a bushel as the downtown market asked for a half-bushel. I bought a bushel of some of the nicest peaches I've ever seen. They're big and sweet. Yum! Now all we have to do is fix and freeze them. I gave five pounds to a neighbor and took 10 pounds to my brother, but we still have lots of peaches.:thumbsup:

/ I'm in peach heaven! #40  
I always heard if you don't post pictures, it didn't really happen;)

These pictures are actually from last year. I picked peaches at my place today, but I haven't downloaded the pictures from today yet.

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

That cut-open peach is truly tree ripe. A peach like that has to have something done with it today. I ate that one right after I made the picture. These peaches are Red Globe, probably a 60 year old variety. I know my Daddy was growing Red Globes in the middle '50s. They are some of the best tasting peaches there are, especially if you let them get ripe on the tree. I agree that the early South Georgia peaches aren't fit to eat. Some of our early cling peaches are good for making pickles. The Red Globes are excellent for making preserves. I made some last year, and I am going to make some later this week.

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

I leased my property to one of the largest peach growers in the US a few years back. He has about 100 acres of peaches on my place, and has several thousand acres of peaches scattered over about five counties. I go in and get my peaches after they are through. Me and a helper picked about three bushels today in less than an hour.

IMG_2169.jpg

I love peaches, and I loved growing them when we did it ourselves.

Oh yeah, Georgia Peaches are the best!