New to me house with 3 acre pasture in front...found a deep, deep skinny hole! Ideas?

/ New to me house with 3 acre pasture in front...found a deep, deep skinny hole! Ideas? #1  

cpy911

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 445, Craftsman GT 6000, Yanmar YM186D
I have a new to me pasture in front of the house that slopes down to the road. It is about 3 acres. I was walking around inspecting it and found a very deep hole filled with water. The hole was about 10" diameter but very, very deep. I have never seen anything like it. I did not want to push to hard with my hoe handle fearing of breaking a pipe or something. I know the county rural water goes up to the house, so I will contact them about it. I can't tell if water is from a pipe or from filling by the heavy rains...

Any thoughts?
Skinny deep hole - YouTube

/ New to me house with 3 acre pasture in front...found a deep, deep skinny hole! Ideas? #2  
I would guess and old well casing of some sort.

/ New to me house with 3 acre pasture in front...found a deep, deep skinny hole! Ideas? #3  
Where are you located?

/ New to me house with 3 acre pasture in front...found a deep, deep skinny hole! Ideas?
   / New to me house with 3 acre pasture in front...found a deep, deep skinny hole! Ideas? #5  
It looks like an old dug well to me.

/ New to me house with 3 acre pasture in front...found a deep, deep skinny hole! Ideas? #6  
Just in case it's a sink hole always tie off with an anchor away from the hole... like 50 feet. Then probe the hole with several lengths of PVC pipe and couplings. Increase your caution for every ten feet of depth.

/ New to me house with 3 acre pasture in front...found a deep, deep skinny hole! Ideas? #7  
Tie a heavy sinker on your fishing rod and drop it in to measure dept.

/ New to me house with 3 acre pasture in front...found a deep, deep skinny hole! Ideas? #9  
Barricade it so no one or animal falls into it, really break a leg or worse. The casing indicates an old well casing.

Ron

Where did he mention a casing? I’d just fill the hole up with rocks and if it sinks again I’d deal with that later.