Linear Actuators

/ Linear Actuators #1  

reddog6601

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1635
I would like some advice. I want to put a 12 volt linear actuator on my snowblower shoot deflector. It looks like a minimum distance of 22" and a maximum distance of 30". There is a 12 volt outlet next to the back window. I would like to plug in there and have a rocker switch for the in and out (or up and down) function. Can someone stear in it the right direction? Thanks

/ Linear Actuators #2  
The min / max indicates you need 8" of movement. The LA can be lengthened using a solid extension. It may be easier and less expensive to find an actuator with the range you need and then modify the mounting to make it work. I found mine on line and it has built-in limit switches to prevent it from being damaged when it reaches its limits. Simple matter of reversing polarity to reverse the travel. I built a relay box for the rotation and up/down of the chute. Two small rocker switches are on a pendant in the cab and the blower wiring connects to the cab via a trailer type connector.

Attachments

• Blower Chute Control.jpg
    Blower Chute Control.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 316
   / Linear Actuators #3  
http://www.progressiveautomations.com is a good quality source. I've got several no name actuators that look similar to theirs for various things & one of their 500-600lbs rated ones for my power SSQA. They all come with the required built in limit switches.

Just apply +12v & ground, they extend. Reverse the polarity & they retract. A quick Google of "DPDT wiring a linear actuator" should show you pictures of how to wire up a standard $5 double throw double pole switch to run one. I never bothered with relays for the cheap light ones that pull under 5@.

/ Linear Actuators #4  
Chim, where did you get that motor running your rotation pully?

/ Linear Actuators #5  
Here is how I have been doing motor reverse on my linear actuators. Allows you to use small switch with small wires and mounts switch where ever you want. Depending on your application you can mount things in different places. I have post on here with more specifics on how I did it.
motor reverse circuit.jpg
steve

/ Linear Actuators #7  
Thanks. I've got the winch from the plow I've been thinking of using. But at 2,500lbs rated I'm guessing, its WAY overkill for this use & could easily break things, not to mention require lots of heavy wiring.

The speed on that motor about right? I'm guessing its not rated waterproof, but as long as its not to bad at that price you can afford to replace it every few years.

/ Linear Actuators #8  
I would like some advice. I want to put a 12 volt linear actuator on my snowblower shoot deflector. It looks like a minimum distance of 22" and a maximum distance of 30". There is a 12 volt outlet next to the back window. I would like to plug in there and have a rocker switch for the in and out (or up and down) function. Can someone stear in it the right direction? Thanks

I got my water proof one here

/ Linear Actuators #10  
Was asking about waterproof in relation to the rotary as opposed to linear actuator. There are a ton of clones out there for that basis 5@ 200lbs ish design. Most are pretty weather resistant & have decent IPS ratings.