“Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #11  
Ive also seen some people mention that if you purchase a tractor from a dealer that's 200 miles away with a better price that your closest dealer won't service your tractor. Im sure their agreements with their respective brand strictly forbids that(like a car dealer).

I'm not sure about that...
I seem to recall some stories about folks trying to get their tractors serviced/repaired at dealers where they weren't purchased from and the dealer either delayed service or flat refused to work on them. Hopefully some other members can elaborate on some particular examples.

On topic; I do think it depends on the situation for the buyer.

Luckily, I have a great dealers in my area and lots of options.

Mike

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #12  
I don't really need the service end, but if I'm baffled, I like to have the support on the other end to answer my questions. I also like that my dealer stocks all of my service items as well as selling a huge selection of tools and hardware. Much better than a box store.

Yes- I can order all of this and have it delivered. I order all of my oil that way. But I have been burnt by the cheap stuff sold as premium or OEM labels on Amazon and other retailers. In store purchasing from a quality vendor is going to come back, and for me the shopping experience at my dealer is actually pretty fun.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #13  
Maybe a better question to assess the need of a dealer is:

How long have you owned your tractor?
How many times have you needed to take it into the dealer in that time, and was it for scheduled service (that could ostensibly be done at home), warranty repairs, or something else?

My answer is 1.5 years, and precisely zero.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #14  
I agree....different stokes for different folks (tv show years ago).....If you are 43 years in the business like I am, a credit card and UPS makes any dealer next door. If you are just starting out you need him next door.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #15  
Parts network and long standing support for a particular Brand is really important to me. There have been hundreds of tractor manufacturers that have closed their doors. List of former tractor manufacturers - Wikipedia

I wanted a brand I know will be around in 30 years if I need parts (especially electrical/computer) or major service. That might not mean a lot to most, but it does to me.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #16  
I bought my tractor because of the dealer, but it wasn't just the dealer, they had several brands to choose from. I did the research on the tractors they had as well before deciding. Like someone else said, I do all my own maintenance and I order my parts online because I can get them faster than going to the dealer. I will rarely need the dealer, but I have, and I can count on them to send someone the same day to deal with any problems I may have. I already knew the dealer and their rep for service in this case. If I had not liked any of the choices of tractors I would have talked to farmers in the area that had the brand I was looking for to see who did their service and if they were any good. But the dealer did have a lot to do with my final decision.
The nearest Kubota dealer to me is 80 miles away.
I need him for nothing, and likely never will!

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #17  
I didn’t construe the advice as meaning buy from the nearest or local dealer, but to buy from a dealer that gave you good advice and good service - that dealer may or may not sell the brand or model of tractor that you started looking for, and they may or may not be close to you.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #18  
I have an excellent tractor and a very honest, local dealer. I just hope the OP never has to deal with a shady dealer. Some of the posts here on TBN are real horror stories.

Would I have gone to the next closest dealer to save $2000. I don't think so. I've dealt with the same dealer for 40 years and he has continued to treat me very well.

The dealer has sent a service tech out twice in the 40 years. Both were for factory upgrades. Once for my first tractor and once for my second.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #19  
I have always thought the dealer thing is overrated. I owned my Mahindra for 12 years and I bought filters and one fan belt from the dealer. I have owned my Kubota for almost two years and bought filters, a bush hog wheel, and a can of spray paint ($17). I have had my JD mower for over 15 years and bought several parts over the years. The parts guys at all dealerships could care less where I bought the tractor.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #20  
When I was looking for a new tractor I kept seeing posts that you should be less picky on brand and more picky on your dealer. This is such antiquated thinking imho.
Buy the tractor that feels good and provides the best combination of quality and price, wherever and whatever it is.
Do you buy a car that costs 2 grand more from a local dealer because he’s local? I know I don’
When I was looking for a new tractor I kept seeing posts that you should be less picky on brand and more picky on your dealer. This is such antiquated thinking imho.
Buy the tractor that feels good and provides the best combination of quality and price, wherever and whatever it is.
Do you buy a car that costs 2 grand more from a local dealer because he’s local? I know I don’t.
Do you have your car repaired at a crappy car dealership who is known for crappy service? I know I don,t same principle applies..