“Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #21  
However - this is a free country. So... buy your new tractor at the cheapest dealer you can find. I just hope he has good service also. Let us know how it works out - if you ever need service, or parts or just good advice.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #22  
I think that's accurate for most utility tractor buyers. And so far my tractor has not needed any major repairs, only very minor issues and basic maintenance, which I have been able to handle myself. So in 3 years, I have not spoken to my dealer. Buying a well built tractor that never breaks down, means your dealer won't be needed for anything more than the original sales. I order all my parts online. Tractor owners in this category typically average 110 hrs per year.

Large farming operations are the exact opposite of this strategy. They need to purchase a reliable tractor from the most reliable dealer, who is able to send mechanics out 24/7 for any possible tractor or combine repairs. Service is critical. Relationships with the dealer are absolutely necessary for successful agriculture operations. Tractor owners in this category typically average 800 hours per year, and not uncommon to find 4000+ hours on their tractors.

You hit the nail on the head, there. A good dealer is critical if you farm for money, own a lot of equipment to make money. I work primarily with 2 dealers. I’m at the point where I have each tech on “speed dial“. I can call them on a Saturday or Sunday at all hours and they will help me over the phone or in person. These are extremely dedicated people who drive their service trucks home at night in case they get a call. I send them Christmas cards with some “appreciation” inside for what they do.
These people must have been raised by great parents and given the patience of Jobe. We could not function without them.

For homeowners with tractors, I can see why this is not important and they can play price games when buying between dealers. If the tractor breaks, any dealer will eventually get around to fixing it. In today’s world, there’s little loyalty. The dealers know it, too. It’s your money, you do what you want.

I just bought a $40,000 round baler. I went straight to one of the 2 the dealers I work with and struck a deal. I know their service techs will be up to speed and able to fix it quickly when the situation looks terrible and I’m losing money. My salesman will routinely stop out while we are making hay and bring us waters or “check on us”.

Last edited:
   / “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #23  
Do you have your car repaired at a crappy car dealership who is known for crappy service? I know I don,t same principle applies..

I bought my last four vehicles at one dealership and have had a couple of warranty items and service done at another dealership because they are closer. The service department seems to care less where the vehicles were bought.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #24  
I bought my last four vehicles at one dealership and have had a couple of warranty items and service done at another dealership because they are closer. The service department seems to care less where the vehicles were bought.

With motorcycle dealers, service is about 50% of total profits. So, yes, we didn’t care where the motorcycle being serviced was purchased.

But, it’s always better to both sell and device the unit.

MoKelly

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #25  
It's not outdated guidance by any means, it's just not the only thing that should be considered.

I don't know where this notion that buying the dealer is the only thing to consider.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #26  
I kind of bought cause of the dealer. He has been in business since 1938. My tractor has never returned and he closed his doors 2 months ago. I have had my tractor 10 years and I got people like you guys to help me out so i;m good!

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #27  
Some times it only takes one "good" guy to make a dealership good. So, you might want some kind of a written guarantee that "nothing" is allowed to change, no one is allowed to quit, they can't get bought out.

Yeah, me thinks I'm gonna keep buying the tractor first.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #28  
If you don’t do your own maintenance or repairs a good nearby dealer is important. The parts department at my dealer upset me when I bought a filter package of all the filters for my tractor that had the wrong air filter. They wouldn’t take it back because I had already used one of the filters. You can buy almost all this stuff on line so most of the time I just skip them and order on line.

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #29  
I also bought my tractor, in large part, due to the dealer being 12 miles away. Had been in business for 40+ years but built a large building with almost 20 service bays but got done in by the recession of 2008 and closed up a year later. The nearest NH dealer is a half days drive from me. Tractor had never been in for service but I bought my fluids and filters there. Messicks is my go to for parts now. Bill C

/ “Buy the dealer, not the machine” is outdated #30  
I will say good service is important but rare today. Also I try to support businesses in my small town but we have no tractor dealers and only a Dodge car dealer and we drive Fords. We do have a local Napa store that sells Stihl, Husqvarna, Ex Mark,etc. When it comes to anything he sells I buy from him regardless of price.

I get the same service if I am spending $1 or $1,000 and any money I spend stays in our town. When shopping local I support home town people. For everything else I shop price.