06 1533 Got a Lemon???

/ 06 1533 Got a Lemon??? #1  

kwbobwi

Tractor
Farmall A
I'm new here and this is my first post after spending several hours reading and researching for answers and opinions on the issues a friend of mine is having with his 1533 and hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse.
2006 1533 4x4 with FEL with industrial tires, issues as follows currently at 140+\-hours
90 hours replace shut off solenoid
103 hours replace shut off solenoid
130 hours replace shut off solenoid
Around the 100 hour mark the rear tires were filled with washer fluid and what ever factory recomended fixes for power steeering and hyd issues were done.
Currently the steering still locks up randomly, more so with no attachments on the rear and less random when the tiller is attached but it still happens
Current shut off solenoid is failing again, odd thing is he can take the current solenoid off and replace it with the last(taken off at 130 hrs) solenoid and it will be fine for a while and then it acts up again, swap it back and its good for a while again, all the saftey switches and wireing were checked, seat switch bypassed.
Anyone have any more insight on these issues and what kind of luck has anyone had dealing with AGCO directly?
Just for the record this tractor looks like new and has never been on a farm or used comercialy, just for plowing snow, tilling and some light landscaping and the owner is very meticulous about how he operates and maintains his tractor and everything else he owns

/ 06 1533 Got a Lemon??? #2  
Just on the surface, it appears there is something else other than the fuel solenoid, that is the culprit. May take some detective work to trace it down.

I don't jump on the "lemon" bandwagon, as all makes and models can have little things go wrong (as well as big). Just takes some persistence working the bugs out. :)

Don't follow the steering lock-up problem, as you tie it in with some factory work done with steering and hydraulics. Too much information missing to help.

/ 06 1533 Got a Lemon???
I'll try to get more information tomorow morning and post it later on.
Kind of hard to know all the information when its not my tractor and I have never had similar issues.

/ 06 1533 Got a Lemon??? #4  
The early tractors had fuel shutoff problems, but not like you're stating. When they went, they went and didn't work again. The replacements were fine, expensive, but fine. What happens, it just wont start? How does it act up?
Not following on the hydraulic issue myself. There was something on syncro shuttle tractors I think?

/ 06 1533 Got a Lemon???
Heres what I found out, when the steering locks up the steering wheel won't turn at all, when it happens he stop and has to rev it to almost full throttle for a few seconds before it works again, it locks up in the lower half of the rpm\throttle range, with or without material in the FEL and with or without any rear attachments.

The solenoid is a hit and miss affair, sometimes it won't start on the first start of the day without several tries, other times its while its at running temp, the engine turns over fine but it won't start, after several attempts it will start like nothings wrong, no smoke is present when it is not starting, he is using the glow plugs, when it starts it starts like its supposed to so were taking that as a indication that the glow plugs are working.

The dealer has been less than helpful and didn't\won't or don't havce a slip as to what all they did when it went in for the above issues, he was told the power sateering was pressured check, fully flushed, hyd. system was flushed and new fluid and filters were installed, the owner replaced the solenoids, and according to what he was told they couldn't find any reason for any of the problems.

The dealer also denied ever hearing of any issues with the solenoid until I found this site and printed off some of what I found, than they suddenly knew some things but played dumb and left 90% of the phone work to Agco to the owner who in turn had them bring the dealer up to date.

And if anyone wants to actually talk to the owner I can make that arrangement, he loves the tractor otherwise and just wants the issues fixed and the dealer and agco to stand behind the tractor and quit jerking him around.

Last edited:
   / 06 1533 Got a Lemon??? #6  
Time for your neighbor to shake loose of that dealer, and find one he can work with and who will work with him.

I'd be looking to "trade up" real soon. :)

He should be keeping good written documentation with details, and bundle it up to send to AGCO.

/ 06 1533 Got a Lemon???
He had a meeting with a rep from agco at the dealers this past week and the rep was far from helpful, he is awaiting yet another call from agco, which every call from them is a different person and the answers are always the same, never heard of that problem, your to picky, that can't happen ect ect, same cr

/ 06 1533 Got a Lemon???
He had a meeting with a rep from agco at the dealers this past week and the rep was far from helpful, he is awaiting yet another call from agco, which every call from them is a different person and the answers are always the same, never heard of that problem, your to picky, that can't happen ect ect, same crap he heard from the dealer.

Our nearest dealer is already 35 miles away and the 2nd one is over 90 miles and that makes it even harder for him, like I said before he loves his 1533 he just wants it to operate like a $23,ooo tractor should.

/ 06 1533 Got a Lemon??? #9  
kwbobwi
Just trying to help and have no idea about the fuel solenoid setup, so guessing here its a electrically driven/turned on solenoid? And access to solenoid is it difficult to get at or relatively easy? If its electrical, someone with a volt ohm meter needs to do some testing. Both when its working correctly and when its not. There could be a voltage drop issue. Since you said reinstalling a previously removed solenoid makes the engine run. Makes me think something, somewhere is being disturbed or moved and after installing the old solenoid it works for a while. A electrical schematic of the wiring for the solenoid is what you need. Get a schematic from the Dealer. Heck post the schematic here so maybe we can help. In my 27 years as a Automotive Tech. I have seen electrical issues eat ppls lunch. And occasionally even unplugging and reconnecting a electrical connector will make the system work, its not fixed. Just means you moved it enough so that now it works. Fixing electrical usually requires replacing a connector or terminal, or just tighting up a connection. As for the power steering issue, sounds like seal or valve is damaged, a seal could be worn and revving it makes it seal again, or a valve could be unstuck by revving. Odds are its going to be either the pump or whatever directs the fluid where it needs to go. Time to dig into the system and take things apart.
Bill
Does not matter a bit about how much something costs, its still a machine, machines break, machines have problems. Watch Nascar, millions spent on each car, yet someone always has a breakdown.

Last edited:
   / 06 1533 Got a Lemon???
Small Update, Looks like AGCO and the dealer are working on an offer to buy the tractor back.