1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor?

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #141  
If you're doing your own property maintenance, a loader is REALLY handy, so no I don't think you're nutz for wanting one for maintaining 1.5 acres. Plus, you could plow your driveway with it. I'd skip the backhoe though, instead would get a stump bucket for occasional digging.

Also, although I'm not a big fan of midmount mowers on a scut, in your case I'd get one instead of a z-turn. If it takes you 1.5 hrs to mow with a walk-behind, a mmm 60" deck will halve that time. If I was you, I'd have the loader off mostly, keep the tractor set up as a mower. And then would mount the loader when needed.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #142  
You are absolutely not nuts, I bought my 1st tractor used (john deere 755 4wd) for my 3 acre property. I mowed with it for 15 yrs. It had a front end loader that removed with ease. You will find more uses for a loader, it's a must have. I recently sold it and bought a kioti ck3510. Bigger tractor. Most of the new tractors have the quick attach option that allows you to change from loader to stump bucket and pallet forks. These are great. Two words of caution if you have hills leave it in 4wd, I accidently had mine in 2wd and almost slid into a creek. Never a problem in 4wd. Also be very careful lifting with the loader, it can get very tipsy. All in all it was one of the best investment I have made, enjoy.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #143  
For the forks; I bought clamp on forks for very cheap; but I Don't think they would suit your purpose well. They're fine for limited light use; but are kinda a pain in the butt, not as strong or easy to use as SSQA Forks. I would 100% tell you to get real forks for moving 1000+ lbs

Clamp on forks will move the weight way forward reducing the lift capacity significantly. Also would require more rear ballast because the weight leverage is way out front.

Remember also, that quick attach forks weigh over 200 pounds.

Lift capacity Specs are just that, Specs for a new, perfectly working machine running the hydraulic pump at full capacity.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #144  
My favorite tractor for comparing small FELs is the Kubota B26. Lifts 1100 lbs at midpoint in the bucket, or 1300 lbs to full height at the pivot pins. That's pretty good for a 23 hp TLB.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #145  
My favorite tractor for comparing small FELs is the Kubota B26. Lifts 1100 lbs at midpoint in the bucket, or 1300 lbs to full height at the pivot pins. That's pretty good for a 23 hp TLB.
It also starts at over $44K. My tractor can lift double that, higher and cost $15k less.

The T25 lifts more for as little as $25,500 with the backhoe, but still has the small footprint.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #146  
It also starts at over $44K. My tractor can lift double that, higher and cost $15k less.

The T25 lifts more for as little as $25,500 with the backhoe, but still has the small footprint.

Over $44k now?! That's painful.

An excellent little machine, but as I said, that price is painful.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #147  

They always leave that part of the comparison out! ;) :unsure:

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #148  
If I was doing just a few projects, I would rent the specific tool for the job.

Mini ex for digging.

Bobcat for moving matieral.

Large tractor for trees.

My buddy has a sub compact and all he uses is his baby back hoe. He had a skid steer for when he did loader work and sold it when done

If you plan on doing any real lifting , I would look for a 5000lb plus machine. it may advertise 800lbs but by the time you stack bags of material, load up logs or what ever, you run out of tractor fast. I have a 50hp 7000lb machine and wish I had more most days
He's only on 1.5 acres that is already landscaped. A big tractor might be a bit hard to maneuver. Remember you can do almost as many things with a small tractor as a larger one, just takes more time.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #149  
He's only on 1.5 acres that is already landscaped. A big tractor might be a bit hard to maneuver. Remember you can do almost as many things with a small tractor as a larger one, just takes more time.

That's why I changed my recommendation to a 9 series with a big cummins. Triples all around or trackd.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #150  
For the Back Hoe question, you have to ask how often you would Need it. It's every bit of a $5-6k extra, and it's hard to resell by itself. You also have to remove it every time you want to use an implement. 100 gallons of maple sap is going to be over 860 pounds; plus the weight of barrel/pallet/tote. Don't know if you Need a grapple or not; or if forks or debris bucket would do what you need.

Don't know your state tax laws; but it sounds like a bona fide agricultural use, and should be sales tax exempt.

The granite blocks could be moved with forks; and tweeked with a pipe bar. You can nudge into place a pretty heavy item with a solid steel 6 ft lever.
Pallet forks on that size tractor for that size load can't be clamp on to bucket type. They put the load out way too far from the pins. Clamp on work fine for moving brush piles and light loads. Heavy stuff can damage your bucket.