10,000 GVWR

/ 10,000 GVWR #1  

Cat_Driver

Elite Member
Tractor
2016 Kubota 4060, 2017 Tackeuchi excavator TB260
First lets talk liability.
I was reading a thread where everyone was concerned about towing and liability in an accident. I get that. So if everyone is concerned about towing limits and the law should we all go straight to the scales after we load up?
I just purchased a 2019 F250 that is "derated" to 10,000 GVWR because of cheaper DMV registration.
Some say the F250 is EXACTLY like the F350 ( some say except for one more spring)
So my point is everyone is concerned about the "numbers" on paper and ignore the actual weight once everyone gets loaded up with equipment, passengers, fuel in the tank, accessories etc.
Sure I guess if there was an accident lawyers could take everything from the scene and weigh it and match that up with "legal" numbers.
My question is how many people follow the law by the exact numbers and then verify that by weight scales after they load up?

I watched aguy pull in with the same truck pull into the dump with a Big Tex trailer 16' long by 7' wide, by 4' tall sides 1/2 - 3/4 full of dirt.
Now here's my math.
Dirt weighs between 2,000 pouns and 3,000 punds a cubic yard.
8.29 Cubic yards times lets do 2,500 pound to b fair.
That's 20,725.00 pounds on a trailer that max GVWR 14,000 Trailer weight 4,250 PAYLOAD 9,750 ( all from their web site)
Total weight being pulld by the truck my calculations......24,975.00 on a truck that is supposed to pull (from ford) 4x4 short bed diesel is 15,000 lbs.
The load was so heavy the dump trailer would not lift the load he had to shovel 1/2 the load off by hand.
He drove in like he didn't feel the load and whipped it around for a dump like he was hauling grass clippings.
Example of not going to a weigh station sfter being loaded.

/ 10,000 GVWR #2  
I've weighed my F250 with GN trailer hauling various loads to get an idea of where I am. I've moved the load to maximize weight distribution. In some instances I might be right up against my legal weight but rarely over it.

I think you over estimated the load at the dump. I don't think loose dirt will weigh that much. But obviously the trailer wasn't happy. It not being able to dump might be related to how he loaded the bed??

My truck doesn't crawl around laboring when it's grossing 24K. I always use low side in confined areas simply to relieve some pressure from my AT. I've pulled my trailer several thousand miles grossing in the low 20s. Only time the truck suffers is in long uphill climbs. Normal Interstate hiway travel is no problem.

What powertrain do you have? Have you pulled a trailer with it yet?

/ 10,000 GVWR #4  
Don’t focus on pulling the load. Figure out if you can stop it safely. Every time.

Yep. Totally agree.

And let's not get confused concerning GVWR and GCVWR.

/ 10,000 GVWR #5  
2500 lbs per cubic yard is a very reasonable estimate.

For sand I usually allow 2750 per yard as just a rough number in my head to use. 3000 easy to get if its wet

/ 10,000 GVWR
I've weighed my F250 with GN trailer hauling various loads to get an idea of where I am. I've moved the load to maximize weight distribution. In some instances I might be right up against my legal weight but rarely over it.

I think you over estimated the load at the dump. I don't think loose dirt will weigh that much. But obviously the trailer wasn't happy. It not being able to dump might be related to how he loaded the bed??

My truck doesn't crawl around laboring when it's grossing 24K. I always use low side in confined areas simply to relieve some pressure from my AT. I've pulled my trailer several thousand miles grossing in the low 20s. Only time the truck suffers is in long uphill climbs. Normal Interstate hiway travel is no problem.

What powertrain do you have? Have you pulled a trailer with it yet?

When you say you "moved the load to maximize weight distribution"

1) Are you doing this by eye / experience
2) Doing it at the scales?
3) Do you use a toungue scale?

What is teh best way to adjust a load and be spot on with weight distrobution.
Not a great think if they gave me a "paper" limit of 10K GVWR and the truck can do twice that but legally limits are limits.
Even both axles are rated for higher than the the 10K individually.

/ 10,000 GVWR #7  
I pulled into a coworker's dooryard just behind him as he was hauling a borrowed dump trailer loaded with crushed stone. At quick estimate I figured he had about 3 yards on, and he confirmed that it weighed 8100 lbs plus the weight of the trailer. He had pulled it right through town with his company 1/2 ton Sierra and no trailer brakes, but said that the truck handled it just fine. That may be the case but I would not have wanted to be in front of him if something went wrong. As far as liability he didn't have a dime into any of it; both trailer and tow vehicle belonged to somebody else.

/ 10,000 GVWR #8  
Regarding liability. Some have a lot to loose - some have nothing. Being within the legal load limits, should there be an accident, will only be a minor part of the final equation. The limits of any insurance policy will only be a minor concern should it be serious.

Get in an accident - risk loosing it all. Being able to safely transport any load should be the major concern.

/ 10,000 GVWR #10  
That’s a blissfully ignorant comment if ever there was one. He was driving, completely responsible, ultimately liable.

Morally, you are correct - a person is liable for everything he does. However, oosik is correct legally. In this country today, if you have nothing you seem to be liable for nothing - everything is considered financially. I'm jaded on this because I live in a state where about 25% of the drivers are uninsured.