10,000 mile RAM 5500 report

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report
Will say that the computer on my 2019 is just a little over the actual mileage on all highway use. Local driving it will be a couple miles per gallon high, about 20% in my case. I suspect it has issues with use of fuel when idling?
I dont idle at all. Theres conflicting reports on the good/bad of idling, but if its going to be more than 2 minutes, it gets shut down.

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #42  
I dont idle at all. Theres conflicting reports on the good/bad of idling, but if its going to be more than 2 minutes, it gets shut down.
UPS shuts down for EVERY stop!

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #43  
My truck is set up as follows: Ram 5500 crew cab 4x4 with a 9’ aluminum flatbed with (4) tool boxes. 40,000lb rated gooseneck hitch and a 20,000lb rated bumper pull hitch. It weighs 10,500lbs with a tank of fuel.
Trailer: Kaufman 38,500lb 35’ gooseneck with 3” ball. Max load capacity is 14 tons. Typical load is 12 tons of hay or a 10,000lb-20,000lb farm tractor.
I am ordering a 20,000lb deck over dump trailer as soon as they start making them again (due to Covid, most have discontinued deck over dumps).
I do both hand calc mileage and the trucks computer and so far the computer is spot on.

Nice setup! What brand is the bed? How well is the Kaufman holding up? I’m looking at them, currently, but a lighter class. What dump trailer brand are you leaning toward?

Nice setup! What brand is the bed? How well is the Kaufman holding up? I’m looking at them, currently, but a lighter class. What dump trailer brand are you leaning toward?
Brand of bed: EBY
How well is Kaufman holding up: Pretty well. Very strong. As with most trailers, wishing for better paint. For the price, they are unbeatable.
What brand dump trailer: PJ, Load Trail, or Titan. PJ & Load Trail have stopped their deck over assembly lines until further notice. Titan will build but theres some difficulty with them, too. Very few of the deck over dumps are a full 96" or wider inside.

1618175861869.jpeg

Last edited:
UPS shuts down for EVERY stop!
If I run any diesel hot, I always idle down a few minutes to keep oil from turning to coke in the turbo bearings.

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #46  
A lot of delivery vehicles have a timer now, after a few min in park they will alarm then shut off anyways. Delt with that on a FedEx truck the other day that was having problems, have also seen the UPS trucks do it.

The FedEx was an older truck. 5.9 cummins.

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #47  
Thats the bad thing about some of this EPA stuff. Save some fumes and fuel, spend way more on engine repairs along with the pollution for manufacturing and shipping the parts.

/ 10,000 mile RAM 5500 report #48  
Brand of bed: EBY
How well is Kaufman holding up: Pretty well. Very strong. As with most trailers, wishing for better paint. For the price, they are unbeatable.
What brand dump trailer: PJ, Load Trail, or Titan. PJ & Load Trail have stopped their deck over assembly lines until further notice. Titan will build but theres some difficulty with them, too. Very few of the deck over dumps are a full 96" or wider inside.

View attachment 694317
Damn, that’s a nice setup. Looks like your truck isn’t squatting much, if any. With that deck on the neck, you could fit a few more bales. That might squat it, some!

Damn, that’s a nice setup. Looks like your truck isn’t squatting much, if any. With that deck on the neck, you could fit a few more bales. That might squat it, some!
Nope, won’t squat it at all. Levels, but not squats. This load was ~47,000lbs :)

1618185370072.jpeg

Try that with an ecoboost lol

Last edited:
Thats the bad thing about some of this EPA stuff. Save some fumes and fuel, spend way more on engine repairs along with the pollution for manufacturing and shipping the parts.

Yeah, mines “Certified Clean Idle”
Shuts off pretty quick if you leave unattended.