10' mower pull type or semi-mount?

/ 10' mower pull type or semi-mount? #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Pros/Cons of each from experienced users only of 10' or larger mowers. Want to jump from 8' to 10'

Seems like semi mount would be more compact (shorter), but would swing on turns rather than turn with tractor. For generally smaller tighter areas, which do you like better.

/ 10' mower pull type or semi-mount? #2  
I have an 8' rhino 3 pt and 15' JD batwing pull type. As you are probably aware, the pull type just can't make near as sharp as turns and more trouble to back up, even if it has CV type u-joints. If you watch a pull type turn, it doesn't seem to bad. If your sitting in the cab and doing the turn, it seems to take forever. Wear on the pto shaft and u joints is probably higher with pull type.
You mentioned semi-mounted. I assume you mean 3 pt with hydraulic lift on the rear mower wheels. Or do you mean all 3 pt lift? If you have the lift capability and enough front end weight, I would go with the semi-mounted. A big semi-mounted mower could "wag the dog" if the tractor is not big enough. Mid sized and larger utility tractor should be enough. In tight areas, frequent turns or backing up, the semi-mount wins everytime. My 8' 3 pt will beat the 15' pull type batwing in those conditions everyday.

In my area, it is really rare to see a 3 pt 10' mower. Usually 8' 3 pt or 15' batwings. I can see the usefulness of a 10' 3p but my guess is the cost is probably getting near the price of more common 15' batwing and the batwing gives 50% more coverage, less scalping and follows the contour better.

/ 10' mower pull type or semi-mount?
The semi mount just uses the 2 bottom links on the 3 pt hitch and has a hydraulic lift for the tail wheels. The tractor just tows it along, but can't lift it.

Tractor would be my M-7040 (70HP/63PTO)

I found a 10' bush hog 2510 pull type. It appears the pull frame could be removed and it would become a semi-mount, which is what I'd prefer. Something would have to be done with the driveshaft, though. The price is reasonable and the seller is fairly close by.

Trying to decide if it's worth it.

/ 10' mower pull type or semi-mount? #4  
I use a 10' 3pt and a 15' tow batwing.

as has been said.. have to watch the angles on the drive shaft on the pull type.

on a 3pt you can actually lift the unit.. ok if you need to back over a ditch or if you load backwards on a trailer.. just watch it if you get bouncing. a semi mount will turn the same as a 3pt.. IE.. when yuo turn the mower swings in an arc.. so watch out about mowing near a fence line and then making a sharp turn.

both have their uses... takes a lil more planning on backing a tow type.. yet you can corner a lil better .. minding the driveshafts.. etc..

soundguy

/ 10' mower pull type or semi-mount? #5  
The semi mount just uses the 2 bottom links on the 3 pt hitch and has a hydraulic lift for the tail wheels. The tractor just tows it along, but can't lift it.

Tractor would be my M-7040 (70HP/63PTO)

I found a 10' bush hog 2510 pull type. It appears the pull frame could be removed and it would become a semi-mount, which is what I'd prefer. Something would have to be done with the driveshaft, though. The price is reasonable and the seller is fairly close by.

Trying to decide if it's worth it.

You can probably buy the parts to make it 2pt lift but the price could be prohibitive. Also, I have reservations if the back wheels on the mower are the right type. A semi-mount needs to have the rear wheels pivoting freely like a 3pt unit. A pull type will have fixed rear wheels and the wheels would also have to be changed to make it a semi-mount. It may not be cost effective to switch the pull type to semi-mount. Drive shaft is probably in the $300-400 dollar range.

/ 10' mower pull type or semi-mount? #6  
or more if it's green.. I about fainted when I prices the 3 drive shafts for my batwing.. together they cost mor ethan I paid for the used batwing!!

soundguy

/ 10' mower pull type or semi-mount? #8  
or more if it's green.. I about fainted when I prices the 3 drive shafts for my batwing.. together they cost mor ethan I paid for the used batwing!!

soundguy

I was thinking aftermarket rather than JD, but price still may be too low. I recently was going to have a pto shaft repaired with new U joints from Case-IH. It was a cat I pto shaft and not heavy duty. The shaft was short one but over $200 from Case-IH. Repair would have been over $100. I had an existing short shaft, made a minor modification to the snowblower and used it. I bought the shaft new on an auction for $25 a few years ago.

/ 10' mower pull type or semi-mount? #9  
Good points. Didn't think about the back wheel differences. They both looked the same to me.

Adding two pieces of 1/4" 2x2 angle to each rear wheel (one on each side of the "fork" going up the the shaft it mounts to) would do wonders to "lock" swiveling wheels into position.

From the Messicks site:
Parts for Bush Hog 2510 Rotary Cutter
BushHog 2510 semi mount rear wheel kit (swiveling) parts diagrams
BushHog 2510 tow behind wheel kit (fixed wheels) parts diagrams

Looks like they are very similar. I would do it if I had a use lined up for it and the price was right.

Aaron Z