100 Series hydro housing bolts

/ 100 Series hydro housing bolts #1  

PTWannaHave

Silver Member
Tractor
1997 Cub Cadet 2185; 2015 PT-1430
Hello all,

This is my 1st post in this forum... I am refurbishing a 1969 model 125, and have a question about the bolts that hold the rear cover on the hydro transmission.

I want to remove the U-brackets for the 3pt hitch for painting purposes. The three lower bolts of the rear cover of the tranny housing need to come off. Are the holes for these bolts completely inside the transmission housing wall, or will oil drain from the tranny when I remove them? (I am hoping to simply remove these three bolts, leave the rear cover on secured by the other bolts, and not have any oil leak out...)

I looked for a good pic online, but could not find. Searched this forum with several related keywords, but no success either. Hopefully someone reading this will have the experience to answer.

Thank-you in advance,

/ 100 Series hydro housing bolts #2  
ptwannahave i just took my 109 hydrostatic transmission off my cub,if u want i could call u and go over it with u, hope that doesnt sound wierd but it would probably be quicker over the phone thats all

/ 100 Series hydro housing bolts
Thanks for the offer, Hawkeye85!

From looking at a pic in the service manual, it seems like I will be able to remove those bolts without draining the hydraulic fluid... I will try and be ready for a fluid spill should it happen.

Bye for now,

Thanks for the offer, Hawkeye85!

From looking at a pic in the service manual, it seems like I will be able to remove those bolts without draining the hydraulic fluid... I will try and be ready for a fluid spill should it happen.

Bye for now,

/ 100 Series hydro housing bolts #5  
your welcome ptwanna have,good luck

Well, I removed the three lower bolts, and no oil came out... (I am assuming the rear-end housing is nearly full as it should be...)

Now I can paint the hitch plate and reinstall without further complications. :)

/ 100 Series hydro housing bolts #7  
The seal probably kept your fluid in. Is it time for a hydro fluid change anyway using Cub approved fluid?

Yeah, I'll check the level and colour of the hydro fluid before re-installing...

Might be time to change the fluid regardless; that way I will know how old it is.

I was going to use a suction pump to remove the old fluid though, as opposed to removing the back cover plate.

Removed back cover plate... All bolt holes in rear housing are 'enclosed' and do not connect with chamber of rear end.

Therefore, as long as back cover plate gasket keeps oil in, one could swap bolts in and out when need be.

The gasket for the rear cover plate is about $15.-16, so I will probably buy a tube of automotive gasket 'silicone' for 1/2 that price and have enough for 3-4 cover plates...