1220 wont restart after warm up

/ 1220 wont restart after warm up #1  

piperguy

Tractor
ford 1220
My 1220 diesel fires up as always first time but the starter is dead when I try to restart. Any ideas greatly appreciated. thank you

/ 1220 wont restart after warm up #2  
check the continuity through your starter with the switch on when it doesn't want to start, sound like a default solenoids ??? ... or perhaps a bad connection somewhere...

/ 1220 wont restart after warm up
Thank-you for the responses. While cleaning the positive post clamp it broke in two. I replaced both clamps. Hoping this is the fix I need

/ 1220 wont restart after warm up
Well that didn't cure the problem. I am thinking it must be one of the PTO switches as I can make it work with a jumper wire to the solenoid and I have check the clutch switch.

/ 1220 wont restart after warm up #6  
Could be the starter relay. Had to replace mine last year. Mind is mounted on engine side of the firewall near the outside edge. Pretty simple replacement.

/ 1220 wont restart after warm up #7  
Well that didn't cure the problem. I am thinking it must be one of the PTO switches as I can make it work with a jumper wire to the solenoid and I have check the

Have you checked to see if you are getting any voltage at the starter solenoid when this is happening?? I would check to see what you are getting when you first cold start it (when it work "the first time") & record that. Then after running it & it won't start I would check it again & see if you have any voltage at the solenoid;, & if you do record what it is reading. Any Voltage less than 12V & the starter Solenoid will not be happy.

If you have voltage there (even low voltage) at the Solenoid when the tractor won't start it is probably something other than the safety interlock switches. (PTO / Clutch / etc)

Don't really know you tractor but have dealt with similar situations on other NH & have some other ideas to check... (but I don't want to just throw ideas out & have you rabbet holing the issue). Check for the voltage reading at the solenoid first...

/ 1220 wont restart after warm up #8  
On my 1220, this has ALWAYS been because the battery terminals had weak contacts, or the frame ground strap has failed.

/ 1220 wont restart after warm up #9  
Well that didn't cure the problem. I am thinking it must be one of the PTO switches as I can make it work with a jumper wire to the solenoid and I have check the clutch switch.
You have a good start on resolving it. After replacing cable ends at battery did you clean connections at other end of cables? People have by-passed safty switches on half of older tractors after tiring of messing with them.