12v hydraulic pumps

/ 12v hydraulic pumps #1  

20 20

Elite Member
Hey folks I quess it's time for a question/s. I have a dump truck with the electric pump{runs off batteries}. I feel it isn't running as strong as it should. 12' dump box that'll only lift about 2 ton. I plan on going through the pump, fresh oil, new seals if needed etc. Is there anything I need to keep an eye out for? Any ideas and/or info is appreciated, thanks

I have checked everything for leaks etc... found no leaks. The dump works fine empty or even with light loads. When I get around 2ton of dirt it will just run{pump} but the dump will not go up.

/ 12v hydraulic pumps #2  
From your description, it sounds to me like the pressure limiting valve is opening. This might be adjustable or a fixed value, but I'd try to measure what the maximum pressure is with a gage and compare it to the units spec sheet before starting a repair. You might even find a relief valve with a little trash in it is the problem.

Is this a full-size dump truck? A 2-ton maximum for a 12' bed seems low. Is this maybe a flatbed dump truck?:confused: I have a 7x12 dump trailer (dual hyd cylinders) that will dump 5 tons easily with its battery powered pump. That's why I'm curious.

/ 12v hydraulic pumps
Thanks for the reply Jinman :) it is on a chevrolet w3500{same as the isuzu npr}. The only info I can find on the dump itself is rugby LR416, which I believe says it will lift anywhere from 4-10ton depending on what it is used for. It isn't a full dump truck just a small flat bed style with about 18" high sides. I have loaded the truck up with 2.8ton crushed rock, it handles the load fine, just doesn't want to dump. The dump bed is 12' long with about a 24" overhang off the back{where it hinges}. The load is spread through the whole bed of the truck so it really isn't lifting a full 2+ton. Actually with the over hang it's lifting less because some of the weight is balanced over the rear{past hinges}.

I've never tore into one of these pumps so I'm just trying to get a heads up on what to keep a look out for. I did search the forums and found 1 thread where a guy had a bad{dirty} screen type filter in his unit, but that was all I could find. I will definately keep a look out for specs if I can figure out what pump unit I have. Plus I'll look for crud, Thanks again for the info

/ 12v hydraulic pumps #4  
The Rugby site says nothing about pumps, so that leads me to believe they are leaving the hydraulic pump and plumbing to someone else to design. I don't know if it will help, but Surplus Center has drawings of their 1.3 gal, 2500 psi hydraulic pumps. Click on the link below and then the "Drawing" tab. The drawing shows dimensions and a cross-section of the pump's plumbing. That might help to get you in the ballpark of what to expect. I did notice that their pumps have both fixed and adjustable pressure reliefs.

12 VDC Hyd PowerPack

/ 12v hydraulic pumps
Thank you again :) I believe you're correct I think the rugby is just the cylinder and scissor lift parts. I'll definately check out the link you gave.

/ 12v hydraulic pumps
It has a monarch pump. It did have directions on adjustment but most of the sticker is ripped off. I did disassemble it and am cleaning it up. There was a tinny bit of water{cream looking} in the tank.