12v lithium booster packs

/ 12v lithium booster packs #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
There are probably others out there too, this is the first one I've come across....

Crank Multi-Function Power Supply

Rgds, D.

(Recorded on a windy day.... turn the sound off if wind grates on your nerves).

/ 12v lithium booster packs
Nice thing with these - very low self discharge. A big help for people who have booster packs in the car, but forget to charge 'em once in a while....

Easy to store - great size on an MC, or ATV trip.

The new chemistries are likely better; the one weak spot for lithium used to be low temperature operation.

Funny how that cycle works.... I've noticed more than once that things bought specifically for camping often ended up getting way more use at home !

Rgds, D.

Unless you like changing starters, you don't want to make a habit of turning over a dzl that slowly.

Stuck in the back 40, I'd use an Li pack on a diesel if I had nothing else. Otherwise, I'd source a higher surge current option.

Rgds, D.

/ 12v lithium booster packs #9  
My snap on rep sells a brand and he said the diesels are a little too much for them, and even had a few guys try and burn them out (the jumper) and come back for warranty.

Because of the volatility, Li packs have to have really good thermal/current protection built in - so (nowadaze) they are pretty good that way. The vid I posted impressed me with the pack being used that many times pretty close together - I wouldn't have been totally surprised if it had shut itself down on thermal protection. I don't have too many occasions that I want to start 15+ engines at one time, but that kind of performance matters to me if I'm diagnosing a starting problem.

My buddy has a Mac booster pack (lead-acid) at his commercial shop. It's been beaten on pretty hard, but is still hanging in there.

That Mac pack won't start a problem diesel (meaning light truck, it'll likely do a vw tdi ok) in the dead of winter on it's own though. For that, I prefer another truck (high o/p alternator) with good jumper cables.

These Li packs seem pretty useful for many applications... Christmas is coming, maybe some TBN'ers will find one under their tree !

Nice for mobile electronics too - good option for charging a phone if the car dies, blows a cig lighter (er, excuse me... "12v power point") fuse, etc....

Rgds, D.