12V transfer pump quits...why?

/ 12V transfer pump quits...why? #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
I've got a 90gal diesel transfer tank in the back of the pickup. Power is 12V pump wired unswitched, unfused (yes, I know, that way when I bought the pickup, used) to the battery. It's quit pumping twice on me now, mysterious to me.

First time, it just refused to start. Meaning that I removed the nozzle and lifted the lever and the motor didn't start. It had been working fine the day before. Couldn't do repair immediately but next day I carefully followed wire from pump to battery and made sure terminals were tight. Also removed the cover to the wiring box on the body of the pump. Pulled wires out and examined screw on connectors between battery supply and pump motor wires. Found nothing loose, fundamentally didn't do anything, lifted the lever and motor started.

Has worked fine across about a month, have used 2-3 times to fill tractor tank. Today, I filled tractor tank, bubbles were near fill cap and I let go of the nozzle handle trigger. Motor stopped. (usually it keeps running). I let the bubbles settle down then pulled the trigger again... didn't start up (didn't think it would). I reset the lever at the pump (down, then up again)...didn't start.

Tank has 7 inches of fuel in it...so not a low fuel shutoff (previous experience tells me motor will keep running when fuel tank is exhausted.

I do not believe the nozzle is an automatic shutoff like there is at the regular gas station.... but don't really know how to tell if it were.

My current theory is that there is a loose wire somewhere, possibly deep inside the pump motor itself. I'll repeat the prior "solution" outlined above and hope for more "magic" but don't really believe in magic. I'd rather not take the motor apart but will if need be. Purchase of a new motor/pump is last, expensive, resort.

One final mystery to me. Next to the on/off lever which the nozzle rides on there is another lever. It is flat, has a hole in it and can be lifted up/down but I feel no resistance or hear any switches click when I do this, and I've never determined what it is for except perhaps for a lock.

Ideas to fix the on/off problem are welcome.

What's the other lever for?

/ 12V transfer pump quits...why? #2  
Texas John
Your problem is probably the brushes are worn or stuck. I don't know how to reference another thread in here but if you search for "fill-rite pump issue" you can read that thread. 12v or 110 problem still basically the same.If you don't at least hear a hum, try the relay. Also, other mfg's basically operate the same.

/ 12V transfer pump quits...why? #3  
A guess on that other lever it is for a lock if there is a hole in it. Sure sounds like bbirder is right.

/ 12V transfer pump quits...why? #4  
I am assuming that when you lift the lever that lever is attached to a switch. I would first check and see if that switch is getting flaky. Switches are notorious for working and then not working then working again. I would check that out before I checked anything else if you already have made sure you have power to the unit.

/ 12V transfer pump quits...why?
Good points all.... and I'll check them out when next I have an opportunity.
Y'all have confirmed what I suspected... problem is in pump.... I wanted to see if anyone knew of a design reason the thing might just quit like that... nope, something needs fix'in.

Regarding the switch... I can hear it click (make/break) but haven't exposed it and made sure that power is going thru the switch... good place to start.

And, I did a search on fill-rite pump issue... pow... my thread and the actual thread both popped up.... good info there... thanks for the pointer.. am off and running now...

/ 12V transfer pump quits...why?
and the answer was.... poor connection at the positive battery terminal.

not under load,, you could measure 12v on the wire leading to the pump and at the pump itself. However, turning the pump on resulted in voltage drop to zero....thus, voltage was there but current would not flow.

Connections were tight... however, I removed, wire brushed, reattached.... whee.... pump does just that.

So, Gemini, you were spot on... I had voltage to the unit, just not POWER...

DUH!:eek::eek:

/ 12V transfer pump quits...why? #7  
On our three pump units (GPI's) (two spares now) all have been corroded wires, and bad connections. don't overthink the problems,
;)