12v vs PTO sprayer for 3901

/ 12v vs PTO sprayer for 3901 #1  

CindyCRNA

Tractor
L3901 HST
Hi All! Tractor ownership is going well. Thank you for answering all my previous newly question! We are looking at 3 point sprayers for our L3901. I was all set to buy the Fimco 45 gallon 12v boomless (we have a lot of trees I will be going in and out of) when I look at a 60 gallon PTO driven one and thought, hummm. We have 20 acres of hills that need spraying for weeds. Any opinions?

/ 12v vs PTO sprayer for 3901 #2  
Starting fresh I think you would be happier with the larger capacity pto driven sprayer. I use a 25 gallon electric sprayer on 6 acres, and when I broadleaf spray the whole 6 acres, it's less than convenient to refill so many times.
There's also wiring the electric sprayer to the battery... For a tow or rear mount with an up front battery equals a lot of wire, plus a switch in there somewhere. The pto pump is on or off right at your seat without wiring.

I still use the 25 g electric sprayer and have it set up nice. I made an 8' boom that bolts onto my bucket, the tank sits in the bucket, and the wiring is only maybe 5' to the battery. I also added a wireless transmitter on/off switch that is very convenient, and made by Fimco to be plug and play.

/ 12v vs PTO sprayer for 3901 #3  
Go with the pto pump. Much better pressure and volume. Mine has a regulator to control the pressure to what I need.
I have a 55 gal pto pump sprayer and a 15 gal 12 volt for the fruit trees.

/ 12v vs PTO sprayer for 3901 #4  
2nd the notion of a PTO sprayer. More output, more consistent than the elec one, and you can get bigger tanks. I have a 55 gal, with a 10' boom. Chose the boom over the boomless because you can spray in 10-15mph winds with a boom. If you try that with a boomless you'll be drinking some of your chemicals. Much better control with a boom. And my model has a "breakaway" boom if I hit something, it bends backwards, and then springs back into place after the obstruction is gone. But you get used to using the boom in one application and adjust your spacing. Piece of cake.

If you're going to store your sprayer outside, don't get a white tank. Sun will eat it alive. Cuts the lifespan almost in half.

/ 12v vs PTO sprayer for 3901 #5  
2nd the notion of a PTO sprayer. More output, more consistent than the elec one, and you can get bigger tanks. I have a 55 gal, with a 10' boom. Chose the boom over the boomless because you can spray in 10-15mph winds with a boom. If you try that with a boomless you'll be drinking some of your chemicals. Much better control with a boom. And my model has a "breakaway" boom if I hit something, it bends backwards, and then springs back into place after the obstruction is gone. But you get used to using the boom in one application and adjust your spacing. Piece of cake.

If you're going to store your sprayer outside, don't get a white tank. Sun will eat it alive. Cuts the lifespan almost in half.

They all have breakaway booms if ya hit something. Its the good ones that have the ability to spring back.

/ 12v vs PTO sprayer for 3901
So picking up a 60 gallon Fimco PTO 3 point sprayer. It comes with a wand attachment on a 25' hose that will spray up to 48' to get the sides of some steep areas. It says it has a 36' spray width on the sprayer. I will be spraying and weaving around a lot of cedars and walnuts. Now to go to the Co-op to see what to use.

/ 12v vs PTO sprayer for 3901 #7  
I just have a couple of small foodplots, and one 2 ac field I want to spray. I talked to the local coop but they won’t spray because of my trees. (100’ booms). So I’m going to get a sprayer. It looks like the one with the 12 volt pump would work ok for my small stuff.
The question I have, does anyone have experience with different brands? It looks like the tanks develop leaks pretty easily. The area I’ll be spraying is pretty rough. I want it to last at least long enough to get my field sprayed. Joking.. I hope it lasts a lot longer than that.
Thanks

/ 12v vs PTO sprayer for 3901 #8  
   / 12v vs PTO sprayer for 3901 #9  
That looks good. I was only considering a 3 point sprayer because I don’t want it in the back of my Side by side, because my grandkids ride back there all the time. The little trailer might be the ticket.
Thanks