135 acres

/ 135 acres #11  
Congratulations! I hope that you have fun with it.

Do you have any reason to believe that the terrain is reasonable cropland in general and for alfalfa in particular?

I used to grow alfalfa, and that looks like more than challenging terrain. I might make the suggestion that you share crop it with an experienced farmer and then make your decision on equipment. That much "roll" will be hard to mow over and it will be hard to gather hay, and someone experienced at it can probably give you a few ideas on how to, and how not to, cope with it.

You might look into slope capable tractors for general use around the land, like Aebi, or Power-trac, but they are not traditional tractors and do not do well, at things like plowing. The Aebi has a lot more power, useful for heavy work on steep slopes, and a price tag to match.

All the best,

Peter

/ 135 acres #12  
I am looking at the land and thinking cattle. Is it fenced? Cattle do a great job of haying by themselves. Somebody mentioned haying but I wouldn't be very concerned about that as you are far enough south that even though the grass goes dormant as long a there is enough the cattle can still do well on it. Haying is a lot of work and you shouldn't really need to do it. There are areas of North Dakota that people do not have much hay and can graze all winter so you should have no problems with doing this as far south as you are. Cattle that can do well on grass will be important to you though. Some people create way more work than they need - besides cattle like to feed themselves.

If you pick this route there will not be a lot of tractor work but I would still look at something like a JD 3020 or 4020 - something you can purchase for under $20k and can handle a big round bale and most other farm jobs for something of this size. I would get 80-100 hp just because they are big enough for all jobs you will need to do but not too big to handle or get in smaller places.

BTW - it looks like beautiful country - Enjoy!

/ 135 acres #13  
Your first concern is showing your neighbors that this "city guy" doesn't fit their stereotype and seems like an OK guy!
If it comes up naturally in a conversation, mention that you have a lot to learn and might need to lean on your neighbors for "guidance" along your journey assuring them that agriculture and a family homestead are your goals.
At first I'd mention that your intrested in "horse trading" posturing, haying, etc. for whatever amount of mowing or pushing back mother nature's advancing into the farmland they feel is fair.
Being 8 hours away it's going to be hard to accomplish much and worrying about expensive machinery* from a distance is just another worry. Usually there's plenty of handwork to do along wood and fence lines that only takes a chainsaw and possibly a brush cutter (big "weed eater" with a blade) for saplings and woody brush.
Actually a plain 4x4 pickup added to the early plan will get you and your tools around the property for this above work.
Enjoy your journey and don't underestimate the value of your neighbors and the help that can be, including their seal of approval (or otherwise) to others. 👍
* there's always a bad apple in every bushel no matter the group.

Last edited:
   / 135 acres #14  
I would look at a 4wd tractor starting in the 60hp range, on upto 85hp. So, I think your heaviest HP requirements are going to be soil prep for lime/seed; and bushhogging. Your disc mower/haybine might only take 45 hp, but your probably gonn want to look at 9 ft disc, drill, ect. The larger machine will be nice for moving hay around as well.

You might want to consider a 45-60hp as well as a 75-85hp, or maybe a 45hp and a 70hp. To do hay, you'll find, although not 100% necessary, a 2nd tractor is pretty handy. Also, some times your largest HP/body size/weight, isn't great at routine daily chores. Another thing; you probably want one of the machines to be an enclosed cab machine; but at the same time, if your going to barn store hay, and your working with existing barns; a large cab machine will probably not fit. So, maybe your larger, primary tillage and bailing machine can be a cab; but your rake/Ted, chore tractor, might be a 45hp loader, open station.

Edit: I think I might have miss read your intentions at first; I thought You wanted cattle and alfalfa hay fields; if the long term is just some mixed livestock, maybe 8 acres of hay, and mowing; you could probably do just fine with a 40-50hp machine, with loader, 6 ft disc, 6 ft bush hog, and buy or hire hay/planting hay. You will probably want a chain harrow for breaking manure piles;

Last edited:
   / 135 acres #15  
Something too add; you can possibly lease the property to someone for the 2-3 years for cattle if the fences are at least OK. Just don't expect to make very much $$$ if it's just unimproved pasture land and yes, fence maintenance would be on them for that field, but not new fencing or "material betterment", and this assumes someone very local has a need. But, that's not a bad idea, if any existing fences are laid out appropriately, where they can have full use of the leased land, while you can work on the part you want to improve in the mean time.

/ 135 acres #16  
Also, for I think the 7th post now, I'll suggest the same exact thing; get some 24"×36" plans/maps/aerial photos; showing existing improvements, lot line, and definitely in your case, Topography, and soil types; draw your plans on it; creek crossings, home site, home access, yard, field access, watering plans, sketch out pastures/hay fields, ect. You really want to have a good idea before you lock yourself into a life long annoying problem, like a creek crossing that is a pain to drive across, a barn that is only accessed though your best hay field, ect. Once you have this plan, you will be able to see if your going to be tackling 8 acre fields, or 40 acre fields, and thats totally different equipment. Also, once your happy with your plan, and it's QC'd by the old lady, talk to ag extension office. It might look good on paper, but not in real life, and they should be able to offer suggestions.

/ 135 acres #17  
Hi all,

I am new to TractorByNet. My family and I just purchased 135 acres in Tennessee. We are from the city and are looking to embrace a rural lifestyle, including homesteading, raising cattle, chickens, goats, and more. Our ultimate goal is to build two houses on the property. The land consists mostly of cleared rolling hills, with some flat areas suitable for homesites.
<snip>
Welcome aboard and join the crowd.

If you pay taxes one of the FIRST things you should do is contact your employees.
The local extension agents for farming and forestry can be a great help.

Also it would help us if you told us what main resources you have to put into this endeavor.
Labor
Knowledge
Materials
Finances

In terms of the size of the tractor required for 130 acres, what horsepower (HP) would you recommend? Also, what equipment do you have for your large property?

As soon as you mention "135 acres in Tennessee" some of us envision 70HP plus tractors to conquer anything, others would squeak by with a 30HP tractor.

I've two tractors, a 50HP Kubota and a 23HP Kubota and they are suited for different jobs.
I've about 400 acres in east Mississippi but the tractors are only used on a 73 acre parcel.

Like others wrote - get yourself a good pickup. Also get a good trailer so you can haul everything around.

/ 135 acres #18  
Any buildings on this parcel? If you're not gonna be around, a used container to safely store your possessions, should be first.

/ 135 acres #19  
Any buildings on this parcel? If you're not gonna be around, a used container to safely store your possessions, should be first.
But remember they are easily defeated by a battery operated:
Saw
Sawzall
Angle Grinder
etc.
Good neighbors provide security also.

/ 135 acres #20  
Welcome, and congratulations on your land purchase! For the items you mentioned, I think a good first step would be to see if any of the local farmers are interested in leasing and farming some of the land.

Second, I suggest getting moved onto the property. It's easier to do projects when you are there in the property, and thieves love to steal stuff from unoccupied property.

That would give you time to figure out what structures and fencing you need. The specific tractor and implements you need will become more apparent when you have a more specific idea of what you want to accomplish.

I strongly recommend against having any animals before you are living on the property. "Temporary" solutions can have a tendency to take several years to get upgraded, so I suggest being satisfied with the facilities before adding animals.

Good luck and have fun!