135 acres

/ 135 acres #21  
I could have missed (I did read all of them), but...... Are you planning to row crop or pasture/hay?

If you are going to try and turn over some of that and raise corn/beans/milo you are going to need near a hundred horse tractor.

If you are going to cow calf or hay (or both), you probably only need 60-70 horse tractor that will run a shredder, post hole digger, with a loader and a few attachments. If you are putting in alfalfa and want to turn the ground fist, get a local to do it, as the equipment investment will be wasted on a one time deal. I would advise the same on hay, the equipment is so high you have to do so much ground to break even, have a local do it and split the hay half or a third for you, and play with the cows.

If you want to do some trails and play type stuff, start a good relationship with the local rental place and use their skids and x's when you need them.

The good thing about a cow/calf operations: If you have good fences and water, you can run it with a good shed, quad, an old pick, and a mid sized tractor very nicely.

Congrats, pretty place,

ed

/ 135 acres #22  
Congratulations! I hope that you have fun with it.

Do you have any reason to believe that the terrain is reasonable cropland in general and for alfalfa in particular?

I used to grow alfalfa, and that looks like more than challenging terrain. I might make the suggestion that you share crop it with an experienced farmer and then make your decision on equipment. That much "roll" will be hard to mow over and it will be hard to gather hay, and someone experienced at it can probably give you a few ideas on how to, and how not to, cope with it.

You might look into slope capable tractors for general use around the land, like Aebi, or Power-trac, but they are not traditional tractors and do not do well, at things like plowing. The Aebi has a lot more power, useful for heavy work on steep slopes, and a price tag to match.

All the best,

Peter
Congratulations! It's a beautiful place.

/ 135 acres #23  
Congratulations on your land purchase and Welcome to TBN!

The pictured property is beautiful. Looks like someone has been maintaining it pretty well.

You should get acquainted with the neighbors as well as the local resources in the county. There should be a county agriculture agent from USDA and the state agriculture dept. They can be helpful.

135 acres is a nice size property. Good luck and we look forward to following your progress.

/ 135 acres #24  
I strongly recommend against having any animals before you are living on the property. "Temporary" solutions can have a tendency to take several years to get upgraded, so I suggest being satisfied with the facilities before adding animals.
Good advice here ^^^^^!