15 Series

/ 15 Series #1  

jmh1783

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 HST
Hi everyone. New member.

I've been looking for some time now. I stopped into my local Branson dealer a couple of times. I got a chance to see and drive the new 15 series, specifically a 4015R. They are a bit smaller than the 20 series. Not small enough to go with smaller implements. I measured the 15 series at about 66 inches with industrial tires. The 20 series is about 72. The wheel base is a bit shorter and the weight is about 1000 lbs less. Anyone have any feedback on the 15 series? I priced the 3520H with backhoe against a 4015H (the dealer told me he could get them in hydro) and it came about to be about $200 difference.

This will be my first real tractor so I'm not sure what the implications are of the size difference. The narrowness might be better for the woods but it isn't that much smaller. To give some perspective I'm looking to by a 50 acre property mostly wooded with about 8 acres open field. The tractor has to cross lawn and will be used on the lawn.

Any thoughts?

John

/ 15 Series #2  
I have zero experience with the 15 series Branson tractors so I can't really compare. However I do own the 5220R and it is essentially the same frame as the 3520. I am very happy with mine and the weight of that frame was one of the deciding factors when comparing to other brands of similar hp.

Have you driven both of them? If not, I would suggest that you do that and operate the FEL on each. From looking at the pictures on the FEL control location on the 4015 looks like it would be awkward. The FEL control location on the 20 series is on the opposite side and is within reach while resting your arm on the right hand fender. I find that it is very comfortable to operate from this location. I guess it is whatever you get used to but it is something to consider.

I don't think the difference in width between the two is going to make any difference at all but the 1000# weight difference is fairly significant IMHO. I'm sure someone with more experience will come along shortly and chime in.

/ 15 Series
Thanks brainb88. I have driven both or as close as I could come. I drove a 4015R and I drove a 3520H. They both felt good to me from an operator perspective. The 15 series loader control didn't feel awkward but I didn't use it for long. As to the weight I'm inclined to agree with you. The big brands seem to be making their tractors lighter however. Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm wondering if the 35hp is enough. The next jump in the 20 series however is 47hp which is overkill for what I'm doing.

/ 15 Series #4  
Thanks brainb88. I have driven both or as close as I could come. I drove a 4015R and I drove a 3520H. They both felt good to me from an operator perspective. The 15 series loader control didn't feel awkward but I didn't use it for long. As to the weight I'm inclined to agree with you. The big brands seem to be making their tractors lighter however. Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm wondering if the 35hp is enough. The next jump in the 20 series however is 47hp which is overkill for what I'm doing.

Have you looked at the 4020? It is the next step up from the 3520 and is a 40hp tractor. It might be just what your looking for.

/ 15 Series
I have not. I want to stick with a hydro. The next one is the 4720H as I mentioned which might be a bit much.

Anyone have experience with the 3520? Have you found it lacking power and under what circumstances?

/ 15 Series #6  
I didn't realize that the 4020 was not available in hydrostatic transmission.

/ 15 Series #7  
I am very interested in the 15 series, specifically the 4015H Turbocharged 3 cylinder. I'd consider going up to the new 5220 turbo as well. would be nice to have the extra power for an larger emergency 3 pt generator.

/ 15 Series
I looked at emergency PTO powered generators. Considering you have to run them at full PTO speed I wondered if they were fuel efficient. Wouldn't a stand alone generator be a better solution? Not questioning, just asking.

I did like the test drive I had of the 4015. Can't say I noticed the turbo since I didn't get a chance to really work it.

/ 15 Series #9  
Honestly I'm not too sure. My dad bought a lister petter 3 cyl generator. I forget how much it was but I know it was well over 10K. Seems like since you already have a 3Cyl Diesel in the tractor why not use it rather than buying a dedicated unit that won't really see many hours. You can buy a lot of fuel for 10K, as well. You might be able to run the PTO in the E PTO high gear and keep the engine around 1800 as well.

/ 15 Series
Good point. Looking forward to seeing what I can and can't do with 540E.