15 years ago built pole barn.

/ 15 years ago built pole barn. #1  

ROUSTABOUT

Elite Member
Tractor
Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades
I just showed up and started drilling holes and setting posts. Everything is fine and straight 15 years later. Had 18 inches of snow and a few lighter snows on it. Had old power poles and bolted chicken house trusses to them. Two bolts each.

Attachments

• IMG_20220719_152038.jpg
    IMG_20220719_152038.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20220719_151950.jpg
    IMG_20220719_151950.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20220719_151928.jpg
    IMG_20220719_151928.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 227
Last edited:
   / 15 years ago built pole barn. #2  
18 years ago, my wife and I (along with one of the tractors) erected a 47 wide x 95 long x 17 high Clearspan Storagemaster arch building that has withstood the test of time and Michigan winters and wind storms and looks as good as the day we put it up. I keep all the equipment in it and store rounds as well. Totally enclosed, solar powered ventilation fans and a metal 14' high roll up door at one end and a man door at the other.

I bet my Clearspan's total cost was maybe 1/4th of your stick built building, maybe. Best part is, because it has no rat wall or posts sunk in the ground but instead rests on 2 x 10 x length PT planks and screw in earth anchors every 8 feet on each side, here in Michigan it's totally exempt from any real estate taxes as it's considered a 'portable' building under the RTF act here.

/ 15 years ago built pole barn. #3  
Good to hear your hard work has rewarded you for the last 15 years Rustabout, here’s to another 15 years!
I built my pole barn (24x40) over 20 years ago, it’s doing well too, only problem I’ve had is that it’s completely full of my treasure/junk. My plans are for another building that will be a dedicated workshop. Right now I can’t bring myself to spending the money at these inflated prices.

Mike

/ 15 years ago built pole barn. #4  
(y) Dad use to say "Do right the first time"

/ 15 years ago built pole barn.
Good to hear your hard work has rewarded you for the last 15 years Rustabout, here’s to another 15 years!
I built my pole barn (24x40) over 20 years ago, it’s doing well too, only problem I’ve had is that it’s completely full of my treasure/junk. My plans are for another building that will be a dedicated workshop. Right now I can’t bring myself to spending the money at these inflated prices.

Mike
Things are high, I can guarantee that one.

18 years ago, my wife and I (along with one of the tractors) erected a 47 wide x 95 long x 17 high Clearspan Storagemaster arch building that has withstood the test of time and Michigan winters and wind storms and looks as good as the day we put it up. I keep all the equipment in it and store rounds as well. Totally enclosed, solar powered ventilation fans and a metal 14' high roll up door at one end and a man door at the other.

I bet my Clearspan's total cost was maybe 1/4th of your stick built building, maybe. Best part is, because it has no rat wall or posts sunk in the ground but instead rests on 2 x 10 x length PT planks and screw in earth anchors every 8 feet on each side, here in Michigan it's totally exempt from any real estate taxes as it's considered a 'portable' building under the RTF act here.
This one was 2200 dollars.

/ 15 years ago built pole barn. #7  
Last year we built a 10'x12' wood shed out of mostly 2x6 treated wood and steel roof. Raised 3/4" plywood floor, slat sides, and open front on 4x6 timber foundation. All screwed together because we've gotten too old to hammer. Cost was about $2500 for top grade materials.

Comparing that to the 800 sq. ft barn my wife and I built years ago for $600, and the real dollar cost before inflation was about the same for each.
rScotty

Last year we built a 10'x12' wood shed out of mostly 2x6 treated wood and steel roof. Raised 3/4" plywood floor, slat sides, and open front on 4x6 timber foundation. All screwed together because we've gotten too old to hammer. Cost was about $2500 for top grade materials.

Comparing that to the 800 sq. ft barn my wife and I built years ago for $600, and the real dollar cost before inflation was about the same for each.
rScotty
Yes, if you do the math. In the old days a jam up good team of mules was six bales of cotton. That will buy a new diesel pickup today.

500 lb bales and cotton was .65 a lb. Six bales. $20.00 was an ounce of gold. One fella I knew, sold 125 bales on Monday, Sept 28, 1929. His uncle didn't sell his. Said they finally burned his uncle's. Couldn't get ,05 a pound for it.

/ 15 years ago built pole barn. #9  
This one was 2200 dollars.
5030 built his 95‘ x 47‘ building for 1/4 the cost of yours ($550).
Looks like he took you out to the woodshed Roustabout. lol

I just built it with two other fellas. It isn't mine. All the materials were someone else's junk. Power company had replaced a lot of power poles. Trusses were from a fell in chicken house. I just know he wrote me a check for 2200 for the 3 of us to put it together.