150 years worth of Gopher mounds

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #41  
I've got about 35 acres of sandy loam soil in east Texas that's had cows on it since the Civil War. I bought it last year and plan to cut hay on it. It's not just a flat surface with some mounds that need knocked down. It's mounds on top of mounds on top of mounds, all with grass grown up thru them. It's miserable even in a pickup at 3mph. It will take something that can do more than just knock off the top couple inches.

I have access to a 70hp tractor and a skid steer. I've looked at everything from a box blade to a harley rake. Disc keeps popping up as the answer but has anyone tried anything else on similar conditions? The reason the skid steer option came to mind is because then I'd be riding on smoother ground. But it might be so slow it would take a month.

It has really good grass, so the plan is to smooth it in the spring before it greens up. I'm just not sure there's a good option other than buying a disc and strapping myself to the seat.
You have more than one issue. Welcome to East Texas :)
Gophers and moles -- Castor Beans.
There is an attachment for a tractor that creates runs and allows gravity feed to place gopher and mole poison - usually based on castor beans.
It's normally applied around the edges of fields where cattle run to keep the gophers out, but will help kill off gophers if they run across the bait, so in a case like that, applying in a grid pattern will help.

I have been successful in driving away gophers and moles from my house by applying castor oil from a spray tank, along with trapping the gophers.
When I bought my house the previous owner had small dogs and liked watching the chase gopher and moles.
It had been many years since any eradication attempts.
The gophers and moles had burrows under the pier and beam house that had pushed dirt up to the point it touched the underside of the flooring.
We had to remove all that by hand from under the house while remodeling. Pre WW2 houses - never again!
After doing extensive trapping around the house, I began application of the castor oil.
After a few years I have successfully held them back to the extremities of the lawn.
The fight progresses of the rest of the property.
For me, the gophers were easiest by far and moles have been the most expensive to rid.
Castor oil is running about $40 / gallon, but has moved them, albeit slowly.

Moving the east texas sand ... Have fun :)

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #42  
I've removed countless ground squirrel mounds using my D5 with a brush/root rake. I built it in the shop with 6” box tubing and replaceable Cat scarifier shanks.
IMG_20220204_112643395.jpg
IMG_20220204_112632276.jpg

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #43  
Are you sure you got gophers and not fire ants. Fire ants usually run the gophers and everything else off. I have used a 3 point chisel plow set just low enough to catch the mounds but not the actual level of the field. That breaks up the mounds or piles and then come back with a heavy drag to spread the loose dirt around. A land plane would be great but who has access to one. An 8 or 10 foot section of railroad iron works good for me. I also use the chisel plow to rake brush and tree limbs after clearing land. Root rake on a dozer would be better but I don't have one of those either. Make sure your gophers don't get on you and sting.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #44  
I’m in east Texas also and the pocket gophers are terrible. I have heard that if you spread lime really heavy on the ground after one good rain they will leave because they can’t stand the lime. Problem with poisoning them is it also kills dogs and my dogs think my yard and pastures are a sand pit. I will need a truck load or two of dirt to fill in the holes. My biggest worry is one of my cows will step in a hole and bust a leg.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #45  
I’m in east Texas also and the pocket gophers are terrible. I have heard that if you spread lime really heavy on the ground after one good rain they will leave because they can’t stand the lime. Problem with poisoning them is it also kills dogs and my dogs think my yard and pastures are a sand pit. I will need a truck load or two of dirt to fill in the holes. My biggest worry is one of my cows will step in a hole and bust a leg.
I live in East texas and got rid of all my gophers using the Cinch trap.
Moles I rely on my outdoor cats.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #46  
I use a 6' tiller behind my tractor. a couple of passes and it's velvety smooth!

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #47  
If it's that bad, I'd rent a dozer for a week, smooth and level it, then disk and re-plant.
That is the best advice so far. Consider carefully what you would and how you would replant it.
Hay is at a premium these days but it depends on your soil and climate. Don't rush in....

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #48  
I recommend consulting with NRCS on gopher control operations first; otherwise you are wasting your time smoothing the land. There is an implement called a burrow builder that allows you to run it behind your tractor and create underground burrows and inject poison bait. NRCS should be familiar with that. If not, contact USDA Animal Damage Control services. Until you turn the gopher metropolitan area into a small village, any work on rehabbing the pasture is a waste of time.
jyoutz speaks the truth. Speaking in terms of making money, you will not win against the gopher without spending many dollars annually. It will end up being more than the hay is worth. Just keep it in pasture. Now, if you just want to beat them little rascals no matter the costs ....go get'em!

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #49  
I built this for our place.

Hootens in Emory sells one very similar.

Need to keep every field that you want bailed free of the mounds. The critters bring rocks up with the dirt and when a mower hits them, glass is broken out.

I’d start preying now that once you turn your dirt you don’t have an invasion of pigs come in and make it even worse than it is now.

Welcome to East Texas…

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #50  
If I had 35 acres and fire ants and pocket gophers and moles......... I would beg, borrow, rent or steal the heavies PTO driven rototiller I could possibly pull with my 70 Hp tractor. Set the rototiller to scarf up the top one inch of the native soil. Then...... round and round you go. EVERYTHING is tilled, level and smooth.

Now it's time to work on eliminating the ants, gophers and moles. If the current land is so jumbled up with old mounds, hills and runs - it's just really hard to know where to start.