150 years worth of Gopher mounds

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds
So.... what that picture shows is basically new mounds. I think I would start by applying poison first. Knock the critters down and THEN worry about leveling the land.

How about this. A controlled burn. Then either a heavy duty rototiller or heavy, heavy land plane grading scraper. Scarifiers down on the LPGS - just enough to bust up the surface crust.

I'm looking at the same job - later this year. Poison all the @#$% pocket gophers. Then level my one offended lawn with my LPGS behind my tractor. It's will be about a ONE acre project.
I'd love to poison first, and still might. I was just concerned about digging up the poison if I level everything before the gophers are dead. No idea how long I should wait.

And yes, one attachment I've looked at is a land plane with scarifiers. I've figured about 50-60 miles of tractor time... per pass! The reason those grabbed my attention is because I thought I might could get it all in one pass if I threw a chain or rail road behind it.

Is your tractor 2-WD or 4-WD?

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.
4wd

I recommend consulting with NRCS on gopher control operations first; otherwise you are wasting your time smoothing the land. There is an implement called a burrow builder that allows you to run it behind your tractor and create underground burrows and inject poison bait. NRCS should be familiar with that. If not, contact USDA Animal Damage Control services. Until you turn the gopher metropolitan area into a small village, any work on rehabbing the pasture is a waste of time.
Yeah that's what I'm going to use. I know a guy who used one and killed every one of his gophers. I've looked at some new ones but hoping to find a used one soon to save some money.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #13  
If the scarifiers and LPGS are working correctly benind the tractor - a leveling device( chain or rr tie ) should not be needed. The biggest concern - does the tractor have sufficient traction to pull the scarifiers thru the surface crust. Is the LPGS heavy enough to stay DOWN and do its job.

If the scarifiers and LPGS are working correctly benind the tractor - a leveling device( chain or rr tie ) should not be needed. The biggest concern - does the tractor have sufficient traction to pull the scarifiers thru the surface crust. Is the LPGS heavy enough to stay DOWN and do its job.
Good question. Another reason I've considered using one on front of a skid steer since I could put down pressure. I looked at one yesterday and the guy told me if it didn't work I could return it and he'd only charge me a couple hundred bucks. The issue I see would be rocking back and forth. But the soil is so soft and sandy that I'm not sure that would be an issue.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #15  
Soft or sandy soil should be no problem leveling if the grass clumps - sod don’t plug everything. I suspect you will kill most of the grass no matter what method you choose.

Do you have duals for the tractor? This will smooth the ride some especially the side to side motion.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #16  
I have the same problem - but it is caused by ground squirrels, not gophers. My place looks flat - but driving across it on a tractor will beat you to death. It's actually easier on me to mow with my old John Deere than in the [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] because I can stand up on the Deere and use my knees to absorb the pounding. Every spring I go out with my box blade and level out what I can - but as long as there are ground squirrels the problem doesn't go away. Major problem around here - some of the big farms put ads in the paper asking hunters to come shoot squirrels.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #17  
Gophers really do suck!

I have had to do extensive research in order to eradicate them from my property, which is still on going. The problem is they burrow deep. Their tunnels are only 6-12" deep, but their nests and food storage chambers are typically 6 feet deep!! Good luck getting to those with any implements! My solution has been to poison the mounds. Which has had the best success. However, doing a large yard once or twice a week is small potatoes compared to doing 35 acres!

I have not looked into large scale poising... while typing this I did some googling and found this implement:

I'd consider finding something like that, poison the little bastards, wait a few weeks and plow. Then wait a few days, and disc, then wait a few days and disc again as Jeff said above. Smooth it out. That should knock them way back.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #18  
I'd plow it deep then disk it. If it needs smoother than that, back blade it. Start in the middle and work your way out. They generally leave if disturbed or run out of food. They can dig pretty deep too. I wouldn't use poison on a field you intend to plant.

Ops, sorry. Didn't mean to use that word but couldn't think of another. No disrespect intended.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #19  
I'd plow it deep then disk it. If it needs smoother than that, back blade it. Start in the middle and work your way out. They generally leave if disturbed or run out of food. They can dig pretty deep too. I wouldn't use poison on a field you intend to plant.

Ops, sorry. Didn't mean to use that word but couldn't think of another. No disrespect intended.
There are instructions on how to bait rodents in agricultural fields and it is done safely all the time.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #20  
Ah, man. You said that word too. Anyway, have you priced those machines?
There are instructions on how to bait rodents in agricultural fields and it is done safely all the time.
Yes, for bait stations where the area can be controlled and cleaned. I still wouldn't burry poison in the ground.