Comparison 1526 vs 3016

/ 1526 vs 3016 #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
Yesterday I got a chance to really look closely at the 1526 with bh. It really is the 3016 in every way, except for the tuned down engine.

The loader and the bh are the exceptions. The fel has the joystick mounted on the rear fel mount. And the hoses are wrapped and fed down inside the loader arms.

The FEL bad: Reaching the joystick is IMHO more difficult than having the stick mounted on the fender like the 3016. A friend says having the hoses inside the arms had caused his to chafe and leak where they enter the rear of the lift arm which is the flex point. The whole loader assembly SEEMS to be a little lightly constructed than the 3016 version.

The FEL good: with the joystick on the loader mount, IF you ever remove the FEL, the joystick and all the hoses, but the feed/return lines, stay with the loader assembly. Also there are less hoses under the right step plate to get snagged on stuff. It is very easy to mount the tractor from the right as the joystick assembly doesn't partially block the way as on the 3016. It as a real bucket level indicator device unlike the 3016.

The BH bad: Seems more lightly made. Seems bucket is no where as ruggedly built. Overall seems slightly smaller, maybe not, but it looks that way. There is only one 'swing' cylinder to move the boom from left to right and back. I don't know if this is an issue, but it appears that it might be, to me.

The BH good: It appears that it would be easier to attach to the tractor as the upper mounts have been redesigned to align easier. The 3016 BH can be tough to mount on the lower hooks and then swing it up to engage the brackets and insert the pins. The 1526 BH looks to have been redesigned slightly to improve that. The steps to climbing onto the hoe are nicer.. The cut out Mahindra name on the joystick 'tower' is very attractive.

The 1526 was at a dealer and I did not have it side by side with my 3016, and I was comparing by my memory of my 3016 sitting at home, so there might have been other differences. I could see no difference in the actual tractors, just the fel and bh

Overall I think, considering the few changes made to the 1526 loader and backhoe, that the 'good' and the 'bad' differences, in my mind, are pretty much an even wash, with the 'good' slightly outweighing the 'bad'.

Either way, they are both very good and well worth buying. If I hadn't gotten my 3016 when I did, I would have no qualms about getting the 1526. And the cash price was the same as when I bought my 3016 in 2014 !

My 2 cents.

/ 1526 vs 3016 #2  
A lot of backhoes are making one swing cylinders. My gx620 is a small hoe, but it has a double swing cylinder . Also goes 180 degree swing which most do not.

/ 1526 vs 3016
I only mentioned it because double acting cylinders do not always respond the same in both directions. Whereas having 2 single acting cyls would give exactly the same 'pivot' response in both directions.

/ 1526 vs 3016 #4  
I only mentioned it because double acting cylinders do not always respond the same in both directions. Whereas having 2 single acting cyls would give exactly the same 'pivot' response in both directions.

Correct, its cost cutting.

/ 1526 vs 3016 #5  
Yesterday I got a chance to really look closely at the 1526 with bh. It really is the 3016 in every way, except for the tuned down engine.

The whole loader assembly SEEMS to be a little lightly constructed than the 3016 version.

The FEL good: with the joystick on the loader mount, IF you ever remove the FEL, the joystick and all the hoses, but the feed/return lines, stay with the loader assembly.

The BH bad: Seems more lightly made. Seems bucket is no where as ruggedly built. Overall seems slightly smaller, maybe not, but it looks that way. There is only one 'swing' cylinder to move the boom from left to right and back. I don't know if this is an issue, but it appears that it might be, to me.

The BH good: It appears that it would be easier to attach to the tractor as the upper mounts have been redesigned to align easier. The 3016 BH can be tough to mount on the lower hooks and then swing it up to engage the brackets and insert the pins. The 1526 BH looks to have been redesigned slightly to improve that. The steps to climbing onto the hoe are nicer.. The cut out Mahindra name on the joystick 'tower' is very attractive.

Overall I think, considering the few changes made to the 1526 loader and backhoe, that the 'good' and the 'bad' differences, in my mind, are pretty much an even wash, with the 'good' slightly outweighing the 'bad'.

My 2 cents.

Actually when you remove the front loader, the valve stays with the tractor, you just pop the 4 QCs. The valve is mounted on the black loader mount, not on the loader arm itself.

As for the other observations, I think they are pretty accurate. With the 1533/1538 in the model lineup, they could down-spec the loader and backhoe a little. It actually saves a little weight also. The loader and backhoe on the 3016 are really stout for that size tractor. We occasionally had complaints on HST models with backhoes and filled tires that they were sluggish, especially at elevation. Knocking off a little weight and bringing the specs down a little actually gives us a little better balanced tractor. A little less capable on paper, but in reality not much difference between it and a 3016 as far as digging or moving dirt.