1531 massey ferguson compact tractor falling apart yet agai.

/ 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor falling apart yet agai. #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
I noticed my front axle had way to much play. Kanequip (a dealer in Kansas) rebuilt the four wheel drive costing 4,000 dollars. I crawled under the tractor to see what might be wrong. I discovered loose bolts and missing bolts. Totally rediculas. I will give you an example of how bad and lopsided this situation is. I have over 30,000 dollars in this little massey ferguson compact tractor. About 4 1/2 years ago I pRichard an allis Chalmers 185 for 4,200 dollars. It had a koker #5 loader with a 7 ft loader. I new it was going to need tires soon. I also knew that the tires off a John Deere 55 combine would bolt right on and I had a couple of old John Deere 55 combines laying around. So my tire situation was solved pretty cheaply. I have put batteries in it, blew a hydraulic hose and had to replace it, had to rebuild rebuild the cylinder on the loader at about 120 dollars
( Not nearly 800 dollars on my little massey ferguson compact tractor ) and put a seal on the pto. The seal cost 15 dollars and a rookie grease monkey can handle the job. Except genreal maintenance,( ie change oil, fuel filter, etc ) no real problems. This tractor doesn't owe me a dime. I'm starting to think older farm tractors ( 50-100 hp ) are a much better way to go. Regardless of brand name ( John Deere, IH, case, allis Chalmers, even older massey ferguson's) are more rugged, more reliable, and a way better buy for what you get.

/ 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor falling apart yet agai. #2  
At no point in your rambling incoherent rant, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

/ 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor falling apart yet agai. #3  
A little dealer bashing, brand bashing and technician bashing........
Maybe he just needed to vent!

Feels good sometimes.

/ 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor falling apart yet agai. #4  
At no point in your rambling incoherent rant, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

+1

However, the tyres off a JD55 Combine Harvester "bolt on" to a MF1531. Whoodathunk that? :rolleyes:

/ 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor falling apart yet agai.
+1

However, the tyres off a JD55 Combine Harvester "bolt on" to a MF1531. Whoodathunk that? :rolleyes:
Let me explain it this way. My 1531 massey is like maybe 10 years old and the biggest piece of carp lemon I've own bar none. I was comparing the 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor to my 40+ year old allis Chalmers as far as reliability and dependability. The allis Chalmers trumps the massey ferguson compact tractor. There is no comparison,the massey ferguson is a POS. As far as John Deere 55 combine tires and wheels bolting to a 185 allis Chalmers tractor here are some picture: 20170804_200634.jpg20170804_200545.jpg20170804_200526.jpg20170804_200449.jpg20170804_200430.jpg

NOTE they are the same tire and wheel. Allis Chalmers never used John Deere yellow.

/ 1531 massey ferguson compact tractor falling apart yet agai. #6  
I would drag that thing out into a field, cover it with gas and put a match to it. My little 1705 is a freaking little tank, easy to maintain and no issues, you have a junk, cut your losses and move on, don't let a POS tractor wreck your life, from all your bashing it seems you go to bed and wake up thinking about your 1536, get something else and when you do don't expect it to be as rugged and simple as a 1950 Allis Charmers, not going to happen. Good luck.