Rear Finish Mower 16 foot grooming mower

/ 16 foot grooming mower #1  

Popgadget

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
I am presently mowing with a Toro 580D, a 16 foot mower with folding decks. I am considering selling it and replacing it with a pull behind grooming mower. I would be running it with a Kubota L6060.
My reasoning is that I will have one less engine to maintain and will be in a cab with AC. Does this seem like a reasonable thing to do?

/ 16 foot grooming mower #2  
It's nice to have the mowers out front, where you can see them but you had me at AC... So is most of your mowing wide open spaces?

/ 16 foot grooming mower
Yes. And I can trim with a zero turn. I’ll admit that the Toro is nice because I can run it with either or both of the side decks folded up, which doesn’t leave much for the ZT.
However, I’d probably leave the pull behind outside, so I would gain indoor space as well as saving maintenance.

/ 16 foot grooming mower #4  
A 16 foot pull behind mower is not the most maneuverable thing!

Are you mowing open fields?

Andy

/ 16 foot grooming mower
Yes, pretty much all open. I’m using a 16 mower now, but it’s not a tow behind.

/ 16 foot grooming mower #7  
I pull a Woods tbw144 finishing mower. I got a deal from the neighbor when he moved. I had to do some work on it since he left it sit outside. Haven't had any problems since I keep it inside. You can't turn very sharp or the pto will start banging. Sometimes it seems like it takes as long to grease it as it takes to mow my yard. I also have zero turn.

/ 16 foot grooming mower
The Toro has 11 blade spindles plus at least another 20 fittings to grease, plus an engine to maintain. I’d say the the hydraulic motors on each deck are probably a wash with the gearboxes on a pull behind, an it has no driveshafts. The other consideration is that myToro is no spring chicken, it’s 20 years old.

/ 16 foot grooming mower #9  
YOUR NUTS!

YES, having another machine to look after is a factor. BUT, you are not a municipality. The mahine won't see that many hours. My CUSHMAN 10 foot mower could mow 100 acres in an 8 hour shift! That's a HUGE saving in time if you value yours and have a lot of grass to cut like me.

I got rid of my 14 or 16 (don't remember) pull behind wing mower. You can't even compare the two. You need a lot of space to run that tow behind. First time I used it, I tore the baton off the garage! You can do precision work with the self propelled wing mower and they can practicaly turn in their own footprint. Great for going around trees. Not even a close possibility with a pull wing mower.