1601 Wiring

/ 1601 Wiring #1  

rich1010220

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM1610D Yanmar
I need some help on a YM1601. I an blowing the top fuse, which is a 5 amp for the gauges and indicator lights. I ohmed it out and see I have a short. Anyone have a schematic to help me to track down the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Rich
Rich1010220@yahoo.com

/ 1601 Wiring #2  
Rich,
I do not have a wiring diagram on hand but it is usually fairly easy to see a wire that has a bare spot or one that is rubbing on something under the dash. A lot of the times, mice will get in there and you will find about 20 bare wires.

/ 1601 Wiring #3  
I had to redo the wiring on my 1700 as it was so 'rigged' that nothing worked on it.

Essentially all you need to do is run wires. Many times a wire will vibrate thru on an edge, near the 'firewall' if you will. Also check to see if any auxiliary circuits have been run off of that circuit. I've seen people splice all kinds of things into low amperage circuits... like lights off of ignition, etc...
If nothing else, try a bypass. Find the bat. terminal, run a wire to the fuse block, then to the gauges. If all works, reverse engineere the existing wiring till you find the fault.

Often when I am trying to trouble shoot lines with constantly blowing fuses, I will pop out the fuse, and hook in an automotive light.. or test light. As long as it stays lit.. I know I still have a short. I then start at the original load ( gauge, light, coil, whatever), and start un hooking one connection at a time till the light goes out. When it does go out.. the piece in your hand is the bad part.. or connected to it.

Soundguy

/ 1601 Wiring #4  
Also.. don't assume that the gauges themselves aren't the problems either. Could be an internal intermitant short in the gauge/light body.. or even something right at the terminals on the back. Check all connections to make sure they are clean.. bad contacts produce heat, and raise resistance ( of the connection ), and can lead to other problems.

Soundguy

/ 1601 Wiring
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll start tracing that wire and unhooking 1 item at a time until I find the problem.

Rich

/ 1601 Wiring #6  
Come back and let us know how you idi.

Soundguy

/ 1601 Wiring
Did some troubleshooting tonight and I think I found the problem. It is a black box under the dash about 2 inches square. A wire from it goes to the check switch. I'm guessing there are some relays inside but it is enclosed in rubber.
When I measure between the black and red wire comming out of it I have a short. I removed it, plugged everything else back in and now the fuse does not blow, my fule and temp gauges work, but no indicator lights on the dash.
Anyone know if this part is available and what the part number would be.

Rich

/ 1601 Wiring #8  
194420-57310 might be the unit. Better verify that with your Yanmar parts guy beofre ordering. I am looking at the parts book and I am guessing this is what you need.

I have a wiring diagram out of the parts book I could fax you, but all notations are in Japanese.

Dave

/ 1601 Wiring
Dave,
Thanks for the offer of the wiring diagram but I fixed the problem. Inside that black box is a PC board, wiring, and a gob of silicone. I kept cutting little bits of the silicone until it was all removed, All there was inside was one transister, one ziner diode, 5 resistors and 5 silicone diodes. The diode between 12 volts and ground was shorted. Found a replacement at Radio Shack for $1.59. Soldered it in and re-siliconed the PC board back into the rubber box and it works like new. The silicone should be dry by tomorrow and my Yanmar will be back grading dirt.
Thanks for all the advice everyone gave me.

Rich