1630 won’t start, no lights

/ 1630 won’t start, no lights #1  

Huntingson

Tractor
Pontiac63n
I have a New Holland 1630 compact tractor. I was running a brush hog and killed the tractor while cutting heavy brush. Now it won’t start back up. It has no lights what so ever on dash. Doesn’t click or anything.

/ 1630 won’t start, no lights #2  
you always need to start at the battery. make sure the connections are tight, and you cannot swivel the battery cables by hand. then check the ground wire where it bolts into frane and make sure it has good connection.

then go check every fuse. i always pull each fuse and test with meter. your tractor may or may not have a main 30-60 amp fuse. these are usually near the alternator, but not sure on your tractor.

when its a bad safety switch, the lights are not usually affected, only the starting of the unit.

/ 1630 won’t start, no lights #3  
Are you able to look under the tractor? If it was running okay as you were cutting heavy brush, then suddenly isn't running and no juice, maybe you snagged a wire or something?

/ 1630 won’t start, no lights #4  
Are you able to look under the tractor? If it was running okay as you were cutting heavy brush, then suddenly isn't running and no juice, maybe you snagged a wire or something?
^^ This.

/ 1630 won’t start, no lights #5  
All good suggestions!
Typically I would agree with start at the battery and battery cables, both positive and negative cables and both ends of each cable.
However, with doing work in heavy brush as you stated, my thought process always jumps to the snagged exposed wire and a connection pulled apart, wire broken or pulled out of a crimped connector.
Look for hanging unconnected wires then go back to the battery. Check cables for tightness and corrosion. If no issues at the 4 points of battery cable connections have the battery tested—stranger things have happened.

/ 1630 won’t start, no lights #6  
But as long as a diesel is given fuel, they generally keep running no matter what till you cut fuel. Even pulling a few wires might prevent restarting, but should not stop the machine. What i thought he was referring to was he bogged down unit and killed engine that way, then would not restart. But i may be wrong.

/ 1630 won’t start, no lights #7  
But as long as a diesel is given fuel, they generally keep running no matter what till you cut fuel. Even pulling a few wires might prevent restarting, but should not stop the machine. What i thought he was referring to was he bogged down unit and killed engine that way, then would not restart. But i may be wrong.

All he says to summarize is he was mowing, now it will not restart.
I agree as long as the fuel was not shut off it should have ran. But he did not specify why it stopped just that it will not restart.

/ 1630 won’t start, no lights #8  
All he says to summarize is he was mowing, now it will not restart.
I agree as long as the fuel was not shut off it should have ran. But he did not specify why it stopped just that it will not restart.
..."and killed the tractor while cutting heavy brush"...
I read it as bogging down the engine. Hydro has 22.5 PTO HP, geared has 24.
OP checked in this AM but hasn't posted since original post.

/ 1630 won’t start, no lights #10  
A few years back my kioti would randomly not restart if i shut it down during use. Finally i had wife hold key to start while i twisted wires around. Found problem in loose battery cable even though bolts were as tight as possible. I replaced cable and no issues since.