1705 hydraulic oil change

/ 1705 hydraulic oil change #1  

edgarrian

Platinum Member
Tractor
NA
257 hours on my massey. I just did the hydraulic change and it was really easy. Note that I did not change mine at 50hrs b/c I think its ridiculous. The oil was pretty clean as well as the screen. Ill be changing oil and the front axle oil tomorrow. I have changed the motor oil every year that I have had it. Ive had for almost 3 years now. I got my first oil change kit through the dealer for free as it was a part of the purchasing agreement. I have also already changed the front axle oil as well. Nothing worthy to really report on other than if you follow the manual its literally as easy as the manual says it is.

/ 1705 hydraulic oil change #2  
The 50 hour change is very important because most of us by the time 250 hours comes around the tractor warranty is done. 50 hours gives you the chance to detect any issues like metal shavings in the filter, drained oil or strainer. It also allows you to clean out the system form any machined or parts left inside during assembly.
So its not a good idea to dismiss the 50 hour recommended change, its more for your benefit.

/ 1705 hydraulic oil change
The 50 hour change is very important because most of us by the time 250 hours comes around the tractor warranty is done. 50 hours gives you the chance to detect any issues like metal shavings in the filter, drained oil or strainer. It also allows you to clean out the system form any machined or parts left inside during assembly.
So its not a good idea to dismiss the 50 hour recommended change, its more for your benefit.

Im sure you're right. I just didnt feel like it was that big of a deal. If there was any parts left in the machine im certain it would have reared its ugly head before a 50 hour service. It ran flawlessly and expect many more hours without interruption. The screen was clean and I wouldn't really expect it not to be. Some of this stuff is really all in preference. I take my mustang to a well recognized speed shop for most of the performance upgrades. I had them swap in bigger gears in the rear end. Now a lot of people will talk about how you need to have a break in period. Don't go over a certain speed or whatever. This shop says that stuff is unecessary. So i took their word for it and have to have problems. If anyone knows that gear swaps in a mustang rear end are finicky. To each there own I guess.

/ 1705 hydraulic oil change #4  
My 50 hour is coming up real soon... I'm going to do it because its recommended and I really don't want to have issues because I voided warranty by not doing it at the 50 hour mark....

Also its like any quick lube place recommends oil change at 3000 miles, funny thing is my Jeep recommends 7000 miles and my Chevy PU does it by recommendation of ECM (analyzing performance history) , which seem to be every 6000-6500 miles.... Think I will stay with factory spec and forget quick lube "clip" joint...

Dale

I refuse to go to a jiffy lube or anything of the sorts. Its either me doing maintenance or the dealer on anything I own. As for motor oil change intervals. I change mine once a year no matter what in my tractor.

Look I understand that many of you will do the 50 hour service completely. I was just posting my experience and opinion. Voiding the warranty for some is a huge deal.

I guess for me if something catastrophic happened how would they know I didnt change the oil. If something like that happened and it rendered the machine unusable it wouldnt be b/c the oil wasn't changed.

Here is an example of me not really worrying about warranty. I purchased my 07gt new offf the lot. 6 Months after I had CAI and a tune on the car.. I know the chance im taking but I also know that they cant just deny warranty. However if it was a new design then I would refrain from doing that. 1st year design I typically don't even bother with on anything. I won't purchase those. Give it a few years and the bugs worked out then im all about it

My 50 hour is coming up real soon... I'm going to do it because its recommended and I really don't want to have issues because I voided warranty by not doing it at the 50 hour mark....

Also its like any quick lube place recommends oil change at 3000 miles, funny thing is my Jeep recommends 7000 miles and my Chevy PU does it by recommendation of ECM (analyzing performance history) , which seem to be every 6000-6500 miles.... Think I will stay with factory spec and forget quick lube "clip" joint...

Dale

/ 1705 hydraulic oil change #6  
I refuse to go to a jiffy lube or anything of the sorts. Its either me doing maintenance or the dealer on anything I own. As for motor oil change intervals. I change mine once a year no matter what in my tractor.

Look I understand that many of you will do the 50 hour service completely. I was just posting my experience and opinion. Voiding the warranty for some is a huge deal.

I guess for me if something catastrophic happened how would they know I didnt change the oil. If something like that happened and it rendered the machine unusable it wouldnt be b/c the oil wasn't changed.

Here is an example of me not really worrying about warranty. I purchased my 07gt new offf the lot. 6 Months after I had CAI and a tune on the car.. I know the chance im taking but I also know that they cant just deny warranty. However if it was a new design then I would refrain from doing that. 1st year design I typically don't even bother with on anything. I won't purchase those. Give it a few years and the bugs worked out then im all about it

no worries-its your machine:) I just wanted to point out why they bother with 50 hours recommendation to begin with. Thankfully this tracotr is not that expensive and time consuming to do the job yourself. I find it kind of relaxing with a couple cold beers and some tunes. My 250 is going to be done this spring....complete maintenance package including paint on bare medal.

/ 1705 hydraulic oil change #7  
Many years ago, my 50hour service came early. Cold winter morning startup, 35hrs on a GC2300, the hydro filter ruptured, pumping the hydro oil onto the ground. I believe that the factory fill oil was of poor quality. Dealer did the service, and had a lot of problems with water contamination afterwards(probably used bulk oil for the change). I learned my lesson and switched to synthetic THF at about 100 hours, never an issue since.

/ 1705 hydraulic oil change #8  
I guess for me if something catastrophic happened how would they know I didnt change the oil.

Just an FYI, some dealer participate on this forum, some read it, but don't participate. Some techs or other employees of dealers are on here, but don't make it know they work for a dealer. It's unlikely not changing your oil at 50 hours will be the cause of a problem, but if it did, you might be surprised how much your dealer knows.

Personally, if I did anything, It would switch to a full synthetic at 50 hours, then extend the subsequent change intervals.

I would also add that just as you posted your opinion/experience on a public forum, you should expect responses from people who think you made the wrong choice. You shouldn't be offended, and neither should they.

I know that some dealers do troll the sites. However I don't think the smaller ones do. Maybe after a customer had a catastrophic problem they might search the forums. That would seem like a time consuming job when dealers don't employ a whole lot of people. Especially the small family owned ones.

Im not offended nor did I mean to offend anyone. Just debating is all. I know some people are by the books b/c you just never know what might come about and taking comfort knowing you did what you were suppose to do keeps people at ease. I get that. Personally I enjoy doing the work. I turned the heater on in my garage, grabbed a beer, turned on the music and did the job.

I guess for me I put the 50hr into perspective. With tech and engineering having come so far today. Why is it that some pay 400 to have a 50 hour service job done. It wasn't like that years ago. I was raised on a farm and we had new equipment and there was never a 50 hr service job to be performed after purchasing. Again just debating and not trying to convince someone other wise.

Just seems odd to me is all. That oil has come so far when comparing from years ago to now. Even back then, farming we never had a catastrophic failure with by todays standard lesser oil.

Just an FYI, some dealer participate on this forum, some read it, but don't participate. Some techs or other employees of dealers are on here, but don't make it know they work for a dealer. It's unlikely not changing your oil at 50 hours will be the cause of a problem, but if it did, you might be surprised how much your dealer knows.

Personally, if I did anything, It would switch to a full synthetic at 50 hours, then extend the subsequent change intervals.

I would also add that just as you posted your opinion/experience on a public forum, you should expect responses from people who think you made the wrong choice. You shouldn't be offended, and neither should they.

/ 1705 hydraulic oil change #10  
I know that some dealers do troll the sites. However I don't think the smaller ones do. Maybe after a customer had a catastrophic problem they might search the forums. That would seem like a time consuming job when dealers don't employ a whole lot of people. Especially the small family owned ones.

Im not offended nor did I mean to offend anyone. Just debating is all. I know some people are by the books b/c you just never know what might come about and taking comfort knowing you did what you were suppose to do keeps people at ease. I get that. Personally I enjoy doing the work. I turned the heater on in my garage, grabbed a beer, turned on the music and did the job.

I guess for me I put the 50hr into perspective. With tech and engineering having come so far today. Why is it that some pay 400 to have a 50 hour service job done. It wasn't like that years ago. I was raised on a farm and we had new equipment and there was never a 50 hr service job to be performed after purchasing. Again just debating and not trying to convince someone other wise.

Just seems odd to me is all. That oil has come so far when comparing from years ago to now. Even back then, farming we never had a catastrophic failure with by todays standard lesser oil.

I agree, I did mine at 120 hours, 50 seems a little much. All my fluids came out looking like new with very little metal in it.

The service guy asked me how many hours on my machine when I went to buy the fluid and filters, I told him 120, he acted like the world was going to come to and end, turns out the guy doesn't have a clue about much of anything after talking with him for ten minutes..