1742 TIER 4 ISSUES?

/ 1742 TIER 4 ISSUES? #1  

NC419N

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2670 Kioti NX5510C Ford 3000 ford 4500TLB Ford 9N Farmtrac 555DTC New Holland 1720 New Holland 2120 Kubota BX22 Kubota ZD1200
I am shopping for a 40 to 45 hp cab tractor and keep hearing about different manufacture's issues with the tier 4 engines. Has anyone here had any with the 1742 or the 1749 I would rather hear about them now than after purchasing one. Kioti's say they have to be turned off and "reset" Mahindra says that they don't have any problems cause the exhaust is recycled. All I know is what I am hearing from form's and from sales representatives.
Any experience here??

/ 1742 TIER 4 ISSUES? #2  
I'm tractor shopping too, and what I'm seeing is everybody saying "could be" this or that (could be less reliable, could be more expensive, could be higher maintenance). But since they're so new to tractors, there's no real data that I can find. What we do know for fact is that Tier 4 is quieter, uses less fuel and puts out less emissions.

/ 1742 TIER 4 ISSUES? #3  
We have over 300 hours on a 1749 HST with no issues so far. DPF re-gen takes place automatically and transparently when doing steady, higher rpm work like shredding, tilling or disking a few acres. Only thing I've noticed is a seemingly slight loss of power when the DPF was nearing re-gen. The 1.7L Turbo 3 cyl is quiet and smooth with good torque and throttle response.

/ 1742 TIER 4 ISSUES? #4  
I'm tractor shopping too, and what I'm seeing is everybody saying "could be" this or that (could be less reliable, could be more expensive, could be higher maintenance). But since they're so new to tractors, there's no real data that I can find. What we do know for fact is that Tier 4 is quieter, uses less fuel and puts out less emissions.

There have been quite a few gripes posted here on the forums, mainly regarding flukey regen modes, faulty sensors, regens coming at inopportune times, etc. I don't think it's bulletproof yet, at least for some manufacturers and/or models. I would be shopping carefully and asking model-specific questions like NC419N is doing.

/ 1742 TIER 4 ISSUES? #5  

"[Q]uieter, uses less fuel ...." As compared to what?

I bought two new tractors recently so as to avoid the Tier IV nonsense.

I'll let the dust settle for 10 years or so.

SDT

/ 1742 TIER 4 ISSUES? #6  

SDT

/ 1742 TIER 4 ISSUES? #7  
Compared to Tier III or anything previous

SDT

/ 1742 TIER 4 ISSUES? #8  
Both 1742 & 1749 use a Mitsubishi 3 cyl. 1.7L tier 4 motor. The same motor is in a few other brands of tractors. The motor uses DOC and DPF for emissions. I don't have a MF but have a tier 4 LS. It has gone thru its regen cycle many times. I have 60 hours on it as of today with no problems. The dash lights up letting you know it's in regen but has not affected operation. Jayman says his MF regen cycles the in the background automatically like mine does.

/ 1742 TIER 4 ISSUES? #9  
60 hrs ... No problems? I would hope so ... There are some tractors from the good ole days with 6000 hrs and no problems ... One can not pass judgement on 60 hrs of use .. That's 5 days

/ 1742 TIER 4 ISSUES? #10  
60 hrs ... No problems? I would hope so ... There are some tractors from the good ole days with 6000 hrs and no problems ... One can not pass judgement on 60 hrs of use .. That's 5 days

For me that's one year. No farm use here. Mainly for snow plowing. Previous tractor only had 466 hours in 10 years. More summer work is planned for this one. I may hit 100 hours a year.