180-Quick Fixes

/ 180-Quick Fixes #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
Thought I would start my own little thread for fixes and improvements for the 180. Of course anyone can jump in here with any added improvements for their particular model (no worries.) Here are a few pictures for anyone that might want to save some time on a brake upgrade.

First picture, I loosened the brake handle, and added a little grease to the black rotating plastic washer between the handle and frame, then retightened it down very snug. I then took my plastic handle off the brake lever. In my case, I just made a slit, and cut it off as I had another softer handle I wanted to use. I’m sure a bicycle handle or the original would just work fine.

I then cut a piece of aluminum pipe to add for a breaker bar effect, more leverage. As you can see, it is well out of the way of your left foot. I then made a handle holder, and mounted it up on the ROP'S with some plastic tie strips. I didn't want to drill any holes in my ROP'S. Now when I use the brake it's very easy to use to the tenth power.

I just take the extended handle out of its holder, slide it on the brake handle lock, and unlock then back put it back in the holder when done. The lever holds secure and is easy to use also much smoother with the added grease.

Attachments

• Brakehandle1.JPG
    Brakehandle1.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 175
   / 180-Quick Fixes
Second picture with handle extention.

Attachments

• Brakehandle2.JPG
    Brakehandle2.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
   / 180-Quick Fixes
Third picture of extention holder mounted to ROP'S. Excuse my muddy tree stump work in the background. That is coming out so I can enlarge my driveway.

Attachments

• Brakeholder1.JPG
    Brakeholder1.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
   / 180-Quick Fixes
Last Picture of extention handle nice and neat back in it's holder.

Attachments

• Brakeholder2.JPG
    Brakeholder2.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
   / 180-Quick Fixes
Another small improvement that has worked out really well. I may have already posted this somewhere, but I feel it was worth mentioning again. I think someone else on here, also did this?

I took a piece of rubber gas hose cut it down the middle, and lined the inside of the hydraulic hose cut out. I applied a small amount of glue that may not even be needed. This keeps the cutout from wearing through your hydraulic hose's when the you lift and lower the arms.

Attachments

• hose1.JPG
    hose1.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 156
   / 180-Quick Fixes #6  
Barryh said:
Another small improvement that has worked out really well. I may have already posted this somewhere, but I feel it was worth mentioning again. I think someone else on here, also did this?

I took a piece of rubber gas hose cut it down the middle, and lined the inside of the hydraulic hose cut out. I applied a small amount of glue that may not even be needed. This keeps the cutout from wearing through your hydraulic hose's when the you lift and lower the arms.

That is a great idea, thank you.
PJ

/ 180-Quick Fixes
Not a problem,

If you buy a precut gas hose (rolled up in a box) like I did, it works better. Install it against the curl, and it will hold in place all by it's self, if you know what I am trying to say.

I just added glue for extra hold but, I could have gotten along with out it. Also you may want to spread a little grease on the hydraulic hose's helps reduce friction and keeps the rubber hose's from pulling at each other.
I put a quick clamp on the hydraulic hose's to hold them up out of my way while I installed the lining.

/ 180-Quick Fixes #8  
Barryh said:
Not a problem,

If you buy a precut gas hose (rolled up in a box) like I did, it works better. Install it against the curl, and it will hold in place all by it's self, if you know what I am trying to say.

I just added glue for extra hold but, I could have gotten along with out it. Also you may want to spread a little grease on the hydraulic hose's helps reduce friction and keeps the rubber hose's from pulling at each other.
I put a quick clamp on the hydraulic hose's to hold them up out of my way while I installed the lining.

I did the same to my 422 several years ago and did not use glue. I did not use preslit hose. It is coming out now. I think the glue is a good idea.
Barry - I think it is great what your are doing with the 180. I have always thought it was too dumbed down, until I have seen all the things that your are doing with it. Keep up the good work.

/ 180-Quick Fixes
BobRip said:
I did the same to my 422 several years ago and did not use glue. I did not use preslit hose. It is coming out now. I think the glue is a good idea.
Barry - I think it is great what your are doing with the 180. I have always thought it was too dumbed down, until I have seen all the things that your are doing with it. Keep up the good work.
Well thanks Mr. Bob, for the kind words seems you have a lot of good improvements/ideas yourself. I do love my 180. Perfect little tractor for my property; I do wish they would have had a mini hoe option for it. In any case as Beechwood, I will add one in time.