1820D, No Start, Elcetrical Sys Dead

/ 1820D, No Start, Elcetrical Sys Dead #1  

FleetMan

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM1820D
I was working the tractor hard this morning using the PTO chipper. Shut it down to clean the chipper discharge chute and when I attempted a restart, was confronted with a no start, no dash lights, no fuel gauge - instrument panel dead. Battery is good, fuses are good. I have a Murray electrical schematic, it looks like either the voltage regulator or the ignition switch is bad. Gut feel, I suspect the ignition switch. What is the trick to removing the ignition switch? I unscrewed the knob on the switch but could not easily push it through the dasn panel. I did not want to "bugger up" the black pressed board thing around the switch and could not see behind it to see if a snap ring or other retainer must be removed. Until today, that tractor has performed reliably and flawlessly. Any help will be appreciated. I still have a lot of work for that little machine.

/ 1820D, No Start, Elcetrical Sys Dead #2  
Have you cleaned your big terminals? Especially where the ground wire attaches to the frame. Make sure all your connections are clean and tight. After that you may need a volt meter to start trouble shooting.

Your switch has a chrome nut on the outside that turns counterclockwise for removal.

/ 1820D, No Start, Elcetrical Sys Dead
Thanks Winston. Removing the chrome nut on the ignition switch is no problem. Removing the switch from the dash is the issue. Battery connections are good.

/ 1820D, No Start, Elcetrical Sys Dead #4  
Thanks Winston. Removing the chrome nut on the ignition switch is no problem. Removing the switch from the dash is the issue. Battery connections are good.

My switch will just come right on out. I guess yours is just stuck. Time to break out the volt meter and see where voltage is showing up. I know I'm just repeating but did you actually remove the frame ground wire and clean it? I have read about this being a trouble spot many times.

/ 1820D, No Start, Elcetrical Sys Dead #5  
i would be that the switch is bad. Do as he said and see if you can see where you have and where you dont have power.

/ 1820D, No Start, Elcetrical Sys Dead
Have you cleaned your big terminals? Especially where the ground wire attaches to the frame. Make sure all your connections are clean and tight. After that you may need a volt meter to start trouble shooting.

I previously checked and cleaned all the attachment points of battery ground cable to frame and positive lead to starter plus wire ends and connections at switches BUT NOT the battery posts and battery connectors themselves. Did that today after running a jumper wire from the start position on the ignition switch to the solenoid on the starter and jump starting the tractor. I then thought the battery was bad and started to remove it to be load tested. In the process, I cleaned the battery posts and connections and gave it one more try. WALA, Problem solved. It almost always works out to be the most simple of things and the things most easily overlooked - I'm embarrased for not doing that early on. Lesson learned!

/ 1820D, No Start, Elcetrical Sys Dead #7  
Good to hear your up and going. Yep, simplest first, I'm equally guilty of going for the unlikely first. :thumbsup: