1935 A with a sticking exhaust valve

/ 1935 A with a sticking exhaust valve #1  

mfreund

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4310 eHydro,
We were recently out in LA and stayed with the wife's cousin. He has the Grandpa's 1935 A. It was restored before it was shipped out 3 yrs ago. In the last couple of months, it has started to stick the exhaust valve on the left cylinder while trying to start it. If you remove the valve cover and tap lightly on the spring it pops back. The question is how much oil is supposed to be in the valve cover. The red head is up and tall, but I don't have a actual psi for the oil pressure. Is there a fix short of removing the head? I know, I know, drive it more often!!

/ 1935 A with a sticking exhaust valve #2  
It's not a permanent fix, but try adding some Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel, and crankcase, per directions on the can. Does wonders for sticking valves in older tractors. I use it in all my antique, and classic tractors.

If the engine was gone through, and new guides and valves, it's probably still pretty tight. A qt. of MMO isn't all that much, and may solve your problem.

/ 1935 A with a sticking exhaust valve #3  
A valve should not be tight after an overhaul. You do not have enough valve to guide clearance for some reason; perhaps carbon built up in the guides and was never cleaned.

/ 1935 A with a sticking exhaust valve
My uncle overhauled it about 7 yrs ago as his personal tractor. He sold it to the cousin to downsize his collection (something about no electric starter:) ) I believe if it needed guides or anything else it would have got it during the rebuild. I think it just needs more driving to keep everything lubed up. I will let him know on the mystery oil. Thanks for the help!!