1950 IH 350 tuneup

/ 1950 IH 350 tuneup #1  

billbill1

Veteran Member
Tractor
2016 Mahindra 1533 Shuttle AgKing 2840 shuttle shift
A friend has a couple of old tractors, I got his 1948 2N going (with a great deal of help from this site) and now he would like me to do a tune up on his 1950 IH 350. Replace points, cap, rotor, condenser, and plug wires. I've never seen the tractor or a 350 for that matter and I need to know the gap on the points and plugs. He uses both on these tractors on a daily basis operating a small farm, he has cattle and does hay work. I has been converted to 12 volt system. And tips you guys can give would be a great help. Thanks in advance

/ 1950 IH 350 tuneup #4  
Check your spark plug socket, it's been awhile but I seem to recall that those series tractors took a larger sized plug socket and it also had to be a thin wall, most of them came with a thin stamped steel plug wrench.

/ 1950 IH 350 tuneup #5  
Go here:http://www.weberstractorworks.com/350utuinfo.html and print it off. You can always print & save in a file in the shop for future reference.

I'm thinking plug wrench size is 7/8". And like mentioned, it's usually a tight squeeze between the shoulder of a socket, and the head. I use a 3/8" dive deep socket, rather than a 1/2" drive set. Sockets have thinner sidewalls, and leave a little wiggle room. One of these is a big help too, for putting the screws back in for the points. You'll want the stubby one like this, as on some models, the oil filter housing is close enough to the distributor, the long version will not fit. The one with the magnet on the opposite end, can be pretty handy too, if the screw gets away from you, and ends up half way under the advance plate. Don't ask me how I know... mMIcvaKQ0l-NlMjtRgwuDxA.jpg

/ 1950 IH 350 tuneup #6