1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil..

/ 1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil.. #1  

Arev

Tractor
Ford 5000 and 8N Ford
Hello Everyone.. been awhile since I asked a question.. but need some advice.. my 8N Ford 1952.. never had the tranny/hydrolic oil changed.. as far as I know.. so it is time.. I do have it draining as I type.. must say.. lots of thick goo did come out..
.. was wondering if anyone knows how to clean it before adding the new oil??
I heard of putting in diesel fuel then running it for a bit.. if so how much do I add???
or did anyone clean it out with something esle???
greatly appreciate your input..
Thanks and Keep Well..

/ 1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil.. #2  
I'd put 3-4 gallons of diesel in it and drive it for 10 minutes or so. Keep the PTO off so the hyd pump doesn't turn.

/ 1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil..
I'd put 3-4 gallons of diesel in it and drive it for 10 minutes or so. Keep the PTO off so the hyd pump doesn't turn.
Thank You for your reply.. will do that. I gave the Old girl a full tune up and she runs the best she ever had. will get this goo cleaned up and then will be good for many years to come. Be Well!

/ 1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil.. #4  
You can not keep the hydraulic pump from running! It is driven off the motor! Once the motor is running, the hydraulic pump is pumping! Only way to avoid it is to go into the system and remove the drive system. Then you have all the issues of getting it back in time with the engine if it needs to be. I am not an 8n expert, but not engaging the PTO only means you do not engage those gears.

Since all that goo has been pumped through the hydraulic system/pump system! Why would you not want to clean up those passages?

Why would you not want the agitation of the PTO gears spinning?

Do you want it going through the 3ph lift internals? The goo has if it was used with the goo present?

Be sure to clean or replace any screens/filters.

/ 1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil.. #5  
Pull the PTO shaft, and removed the hydraulic pump from the bottom. It's attached to the bottom pan, you have to let it drop then pull it out at an angle, it takes some figuring out, but it's not hard, just heavy. Once you've dropped the pump and got the PTO shaft out you'll be able to clean the rear diff and the goop all around the bottom of the pump housing, it takes some time but worth it, mine had about 2 inches of thick much when I serviced it for the first time. While you're in there put a new pressure relief valve on the pump and call it a day. You need a gasket set, which you can find on amazon cheap.

/ 1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil.. #6  
Don't forget to drain the trans while you're at it, I made that mistake the first time and ended up contaminating 50$ worth of new oil, they share the same fluid.

/ 1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil.. #7  
You can not keep the hydraulic pump from running! It is driven off the motor!
The pump does NOT run off the engine, on the old 8N tractors it is run off the PTO shaft, the pump works only when the PTO is turning and there are NO screens or filters on the tractor.

Fill the sumps with diesel or kerosene and drive it around for 5 to 10 minutes doing everything you can to slosh it around in there, then immediately drain by removing all 3 plugs, one in the transmission and 2 in the differential/hydraulic sump. Then remove the round side plates and use a hand sprayer filled with your solvent and spray it up at the top cover as best you can. Allow it to sit and drain for as long as possible then replace the drain plugs and fill it with 4.5 to 5 gallons of 80w90 GL1 is recommended but GL5 will work just fine. (I will not get into the GL1 vs GL5 debate.)

The only way to clean it out better would be to remove the top cover of the hydraulics so you could scrap and wash it by hand.

/ 1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil.. #8  
You can not keep the hydraulic pump from running! It is driven off the motor! Once the motor is running, the hydraulic pump is pumping! Only way to avoid it is to go into the system and remove the drive system. Then you have all the issues of getting it back in time with the engine if it needs to be. I am not an 8n expert, but not engaging the PTO only means you do not engage those gears.

Since all that goo has been pumped through the hydraulic system/pump system! Why would you not want to clean up those passages?

Do you want it going through the 3ph lift internals? The goo has if it was used with the goo present?

Guess you don’t know a lot about 8N hydraulics. There are no screens/filters and the hydraulic pump is only driven when the PTO is engaged.

/ 1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil..

Thanks for your reply.. we actully just drained the oil from all 3 plugs on the bottom of the tractor... let it drip for 2 days.. then we cleaned up all the filters etc.. as you mentioned.. we did NOT put dizel in as we talked to our mechanic and he did do that and NEVER AGAIN!.. he said you can't get the dizel out.. so he suggested we just drain it.. clean it up then put in the new oil.. let it work for the summer then.. drain it again.. this way the new oll will clean up all the crevaces in the tractor.... so for 60 bucks we thought is a good ideal.
we got all the oil put back in.. PTO and 3 point hitch work great. but the bucket will not go up!
we have changed the trip buck to a hydrolic bucket.. therefore cylinders on both sides.. we put in the same amount of oil that we took out. which shows way over the dip stick.. and would be becasue of the added cylinders.
DO you have any idea on what to do next?
we are thinking maybe a airpocket????
if so how does one get it out?

Thanks for your input.. we truly appreciate it.
Be Well

/ 1952 8N Ford tractor. changing tranny/hydrolic oil, how to clean it before adding new oil.. #10  
How have you connected the hydraulic bucket to the system? Did you connect using the test port or some other way?