1952 8N - what oil to use

/ 1952 8N - what oil to use #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I've got a 1952 ford 8n. After I finish restoring the sheetmetal and body work, and incedentals, I'll probably service it.

I've heard just about every type of oil sugested for this engine ( flat head 4 cyl - gas ).

I guess originally they used a non detergent oil... but guess there wasn't anything else.

Any ideas? sae 30wt or sae 40 ? Might help with slightly worn rings.

thanks

Soundguy

/ 1952 8N - what oil to use #2  
I've never seen anything except 30W non-detergent oil used in those Henrys, regardless of the year model. I could be wrong about this, but I believe they took the same filter as the 49-53 (removed) cars did. We used to make toilet paper filter setups for our tractors to clean up the oil, and I have made some for guys who had the little 8Ns. You can't do the toilet paper thing to this late model stuff because the toilet paper stack is so fine that it will screen out the additive package that is in the oil, a package that modern high pressure diesels depend on for adequate lubrication. Dave

/ 1952 8N - what oil to use #3  
Well some people would say I am off my rocker, But I would not put non-deterent oil in anything I own. I would use a good 30 weight deterent oil, and change it and the filter alot till it cleans out. May not be the best thing, but thats what I would do.

/ 1952 8N - what oil to use #4  
Non detergent oil has been obsolete for years. The only reason I could think of to use it is if you had a totally sludged up engine and were afraid to knock the sludge loose. Or it used so much oil that you were buying cases of the cheapest bargain basement stuff available. A single grade 30 wt. would work just fine. I used Castrol GTX 20-50 wt. in mine. I figured it would provide extra protection in an engine of indeterminent wear.

/ 1952 8N - what oil to use #5  
I use 30 weight, non detergent oil in both my Ferguson and Oliver. From what I've read and heard, you're taking a risk in using detergent oil, unless you know that the engine has been run on that for at least a few years.

/ 1952 8N - what oil to use #6  
Rich, You are absolutely correct. Non detergent oil is NOT obsolete. The issue - the old engines have soft babbit bearings that get eaten alive by the additives in our "modern" oil. JJT

/ 1952 8N - what oil to use #7  
I have found there is a few way to get into an argument. Religion, and politics are one way, Coke vs. Pepsi, another. One of the most volatile is OIL! Synth, vs. non synth, weight etc. We all have our favorites. Best thing? No mater what you use, change it often!!!! Keeping CLEAN oil in there is the most important thing. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 1952 8N - what oil to use #9  
lol. Oh, I also forgot. Ford vs. Chevy./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 1952 8N - what oil to use #10  
I've always heard that detergent oil was created for the needs of hydraulic lifters, (If they gum-up they don't work too well.) but there is no reason I have ever heard to not use it except for the sudden rush of sludge you will create if you use it on an engine which has been running non-detergent for years. If your engine is clean, I think detergent or non-detergent will give equally good service. I find it really hard to accept that detergent oil could hurt a babbit rod as JJT indicates since it doesn't "eat" its way through gasket surfaces. I'm not saying that isn't true, but just that I find it hard to believe./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif