1963 4010 diesel Fuel Gauge 24 volt system

/ 1963 4010 diesel Fuel Gauge 24 volt system #11  
IMHO one doesn't really need a kit but only needs a 12 volt starter such as a Iskra or Nippondenso, a 12 volt alternator & then reverse/modify generator mounting bracket to accept alternator. Attach brown & blue wires in harness close to starter to top post on starter & be sure battery negative post cable is attached to tractor frame. Adding extra starter solenoid control relay is a good option to send more amps for engagement of starter solenoid. The kit below should be fine.

/ 1963 4010 diesel Fuel Gauge 24 volt system
I had an alternator on the shelf, so all I bought was the 12 volt starter.

Are there any tips or tricks to changing the fuel tank sending unit?

When I switched to 12 volt, should I have switched the wire to positive?

I haven't checked it to verify polarity.

Is there any good way to clean bug goo out of a diesel tank?

/ 1963 4010 diesel Fuel Gauge 24 volt system #13  
Correct 12 volt fuel sender from JD is part # AR46268 & gauge should be part # AR45436. On subject of bug goo do you have a fungus growing in your tractor's fuel tank? If so you need to add a Bio-cide.

Correct 12 volt fuel sender from JD is part # AR46268 & gauge should be part # AR45436. On subject of bug goo do you have a fungus growing in your tractor's fuel tank? If so you need to add a Bio-cide.
The tractor was running when parked.
Last night the line between the tank and the fuel pump was plugged. The fuel tank has why I assume to be big goo in it also.
Dark black and tarry.

A couple brands of biocide have been added. But the goo never went away.

The line is unhooked on each end. Nothing runs out the petcock.

/ 1963 4010 diesel Fuel Gauge 24 volt system #15  
Old bio fuel.??
Get a gallon of new fuel (bio) and pour it in and let it sit a day and see if it loosened up..
Bio cleans bio..

We dumped in a few gallons of E85. For a week or so.

Is the fuel line a standard compression fitting that I might have in the box?

I was told it might be a John Deere special

/ 1963 4010 diesel Fuel Gauge 24 volt system #17  
We dumped in a few gallons of E85. For a week or so.

Is the fuel line a standard compression fitting that I might have in the box?

I was told it might be a John Deere special
E85??? gasoline???

If the tank has a bunch of black sludge I'd be tempted to pull the line of it and depending on the amount of fuel just catch it for burning brush.
Once the tanks empty strong bleach and soapy water then rinse well and blow dry.

You can use a low pressure air hose and blow back into the tank with the fill cap off and use the air bubbling thru to mix a strong dose of biocide in the existing fuel then try and filter the sludge out of it, it can be done but will entail several fuel filters and lots of time.

E85??? gasoline???

If the tank has a bunch of black sludge I'd be tempted to pull the line of it and depending on the amount of fuel just catch it for burning brush.
Once the tanks empty strong bleach and soapy water then rinse well and blow dry.

You can use a low pressure air hose and blow back into the tank with the fill cap off and use the air bubbling thru to mix a strong dose of biocide in the existing fuel then try and filter the sludge out of it, it can be done but will entail several fuel filters and lots of time.
I heard E85 cuts the sludge.
It's all bound for the burn pile.

Straight alcohol was working for cleaning our hands. Going to be more on top of wearing rubber gloves from here on out.
If I could find a cheap, good tank, I'd go that route.

I've heard of these tank bottoms rotting out.

We're seriously contemplating removng the tank and using the pressure washer.

Last edited:
   / 1963 4010 diesel Fuel Gauge 24 volt system #19  
If it is in fact bio sludge, gasoline just makes it soft..
I’ve been looking for something to wash that crap myself.. I get pumps FULL of that stuff and have to scrub each and EVERY part by hand..
I’ve used gasoline on some parts but I still end up scrubbing them in my wash tank..
If u do find a magic potion, let us know..

If it is in fact bio sludge, gasoline just makes it soft..
I’ve been looking for something to wash that crap myself.. I get pumps FULL of that stuff and have to scrub each and EVERY part by hand..
I’ve used gasoline on some parts but I still end up scrubbing them in my wash tank..
If u do find a magic potion, let us know..
So far nothing is working great. E85, acetone & CRC brake clean have been the best so far.
I've read that steam cleaning works. We just have a regular power washer We're going to try