1964 Massey Ferguson 150

/ 1964 Massey Ferguson 150 #1  

Estes79

I recently was able to buy my grandfathers MF 150 from his estate after his passing. I was able to get the tractor running the other day after changing fuel filters and diesel fuel as he had Alzheimer's and forgot it was a diesel and filled with gas. The tractor has been sitting for some time. I still have to drain all the fluids as the coolant is way past its prime, the lift arms move slowly as he never changed the filters. My question is what milky looking fluid would be leaking from the weep hole in the bell housing?

/ 1964 Massey Ferguson 150 #2  
:welcome:
To the forum from Alabama. it does not list where you are located at. There are very good people on this site that will be able to help.

/ 1964 Massey Ferguson 150 #3  
Welcome

Water mixed with gear oil

/ 1964 Massey Ferguson 150
Mddorange, I am from Tennesse

/ 1964 Massey Ferguson 150 #5  
The boots on the shift levers are shot or missing and water has run into the transmission and mixed with the transmission oil. You need to replace the shifter boots and drain the transmission oil. I would refill the transmission with the proper fluid and after driving it around a bit drain the oil again to rinse out the contaminated oil. Refill again and use the tractor for a few days and drain the oil. I would do this at least three times. This is just a guess and maybe someone with experience can give more details.

/ 1964 Massey Ferguson 150 #6  
As previously stated, drain the trans. leave the plugs out overnight (a good draining). I'm pretty sure that the water level is high and that may be the reason the fluid is coming past the seal into the area where the cotter pin is.. (at least I hope thats it..). Refill, run it around for a few days, put a good piece of cardboard under the tractor at night and see what leaks you have in the morning...do this for a few days, re-drain the refill....hopefully you will be OK at this point... I don't think you should need to drain it again though...its up to you. good luck. BobG in VA

/ 1964 Massey Ferguson 150 #7  
Welcome Estes79.
Glad you are keeping your grandfather's tractor operating.
I agree with pmsmechanic. You may also have to disassemble the control valve as well and clean it out. I had a similar problem and flushing the system took care of most of it but had to clean and rebuild the control valve to completely restore the system.

Good luck with that great old tractor.

/ 1964 Massey Ferguson 150 #8  
I recently was able to buy my grandfathers MF 150 from his estate after his passing. I was able to get the tractor running the other day after changing fuel filters and diesel fuel as he had Alzheimer's and forgot it was a diesel and filled with gas. The tractor has been sitting for some time. I still have to drain all the fluids as the coolant is way past its prime, the lift arms move slowly as he never changed the filters. My question is what milky looking fluid would be leaking from the weep hole in the bell housing?

Multi-power transmission or not? If multipower, could be more serious.

/ 1964 Massey Ferguson 150
How do I know if its a multi-power. All I know is it a 6 speed. 3 high + 3 low.

/ 1964 Massey Ferguson 150 #10  
How do I know if its a multi-power. All I know is it a 6 speed. 3 high + 3 low.

Is there a small shift lever on the lower right side of the dash? There may be a slot there with a cover plate if it doesn't have multi-power.