1966 JD 1020 adding rear remote

/ 1966 JD 1020 adding rear remote #1  

JP11

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 2518
Ok, i'll try to describe what I have, and what I'm trying to do.

My 66 JD 1020 gas has what I would call "power beyond" to run my loader. It's got quick connects under the right rear of the tractor. I have those hoses running up to a loader valve on a loader that I got for free from a relative.

SO.. when I started using the loader... I THINK it's a "open center" loader valve.. I had to install a manual ball valve shutoff so that I can shut the loader off, and have my 3point arms work. All that works fine now.

NOW>>> I'd like to add a rear remote. I'm looking to buy a snowblower that has a hydraulic rotator. SO i think I need to T into the line, and have some sort of valve that would allow me to pump fluid in EITHER direction, so as to rotate the chute.

I talked to a hydraulic shop (i'm currently traveling, so i couldnt stop by and draw it out and start buying stuff) and he mentioned something about needing to install a "3 line" system.

Anyone have some guidance, and even better pictures or websites to do some research? I'd like to give the local guy the business. But I want to be a bit more educated when I walk in the door.

Thanks

JP

/ 1966 JD 1020 adding rear remote #2  
It surely sounds as if your current loader valve is open center. The tractor's system is almost without question closed center. Your first step should be to install a closed center valve to control your loader. Once you accomplish that, you can 'T' into the supply line to the loader control valve and plumb another closed center spool valve with the work ports connected to female couplers that any cylinder can be attached to. 3 lines are not required for valving on closed center systems, Pressure and return are the rrequirements. Tee's can and to work well installed in pressure lines on closed center systems, unlike open center systems.

Allowing full pump flow to circulate through your current loader valve as it does now will damage your main hydraulic pump in time because the charge pump cannot flow enough oil to the main pump for sustained periods.

/ 1966 JD 1020 adding rear remote
Rick

Thanks for the info. From a bit of what I've been reading.. I should be able to somehow change the Grensen 2712 valve from it's current open center to closed center.. right? Attached is the pdf of the parts diagram for the loader.

I guess I'm wondering how the new valve would work for the remote. does the valve itself do all of the porting for feed and return, so IT decides which way the chute would rotate, and it lets fluid go either way to the rotator?

So it would have feed and return lines to the valve, and the "feed and return" from that valve to the blower rotator are essentially ambidexterous?

Thanks

Attachments

• 36a.png
    36a.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 2,968
Last edited:
   / 1966 JD 1020 adding rear remote #4  
Rick

Thanks for the info. From a bit of what I've been reading.. I should be able to somehow change the Grensen 2712 valve from it's current open center to closed center.. right? Attached is the pdf of the parts diagram for the loader.

I guess I'm wondering how the new valve would work for the remote. does the valve itself do all of the porting for feed and return, so IT decides which way the chute would rotate, and it lets fluid go either way to the rotator?

So it would have feed and return lines to the valve, and the "feed and return" from that valve to the blower rotator are essentially ambidexterous?

Thanks

A lot of valves are "changeable" from OC to CC, but finding the proper part may prove to be impossible-especially if it's an older valve.

I am not sure what you are asking in the second part of your question...But a new single spool valve will have four ports, Two will be the IN and OUT ports, and the other two will be the "work" ports where you connect a cylinder/motor to. The movement of the handle decides which "work" port get pressure to move the cylinder either IN/OUT. If the cylinder does not move the desired direction, the reverse the hoses.

/ 1966 JD 1020 adding rear remote
Got it.

So i need to buy... a closed center, single spool valve.

and either I need to

1. Find a way to convert my current loader valve to CC

or

2. Buy a new loader valve

or

3. Make sure I only open my manual ball valve on loader line for when i am actively using loader.

Do I have it right?

Thanks

JP

/ 1966 JD 1020 adding rear remote #6  
I would look in to changing your loader valve to closed center. Look in to your valve what ever kind you have, to see if it is able to be made into closed center.

/ 1966 JD 1020 adding rear remote #7  
Got it.

So i need to buy... a closed center, single spool valve.

and either I need to

1. Find a way to convert my current loader valve to CC

or

2. Buy a new loader valve

or

3. Make sure I only open my manual ball valve on loader line for when i am actively using loader.

Do I have it right?

Thanks

JP

You got it mate;)