1966 JD 1020.. On the ropes i think!

/ 1966 JD 1020.. On the ropes i think! #1  

JP11

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 2518
Ok.. I've got a 66 1020 gas.

I seem to have some REALLY big issue going on with plumbing. I was pretty rough on it this week running the bushog where it probably had no business.

I have NO real leaks (a small amount on shutdown from bottom of clutch casing where cotter pin hangs out. maybe 1/4 cup, and it didn't used to do that.

The real issue, and I think it was a little one that has been happening that just got a WHOLE lot bigger.

I'm somehow losing LOTS of hydraulic fluid, and it's ending up in the crankcase.

I know.. the guy at the JD place was scratching his head to figure out where the two systems meet that could really lose fluid. I have the short shaft on front running my hydro pump, so no real ability there.

I'm talking 20 to 30 minutes of mostly idling, and i'm down probably 2 gallons in hydro, and it's up 3/4 the way on my dipstick.

I'm even getting a little dripping out of my crankcase breather line after shutdown. Smells like new hydro fluid even.

What's going on in there? any theories?

JP

/ 1966 JD 1020.. On the ropes i think! #2  
Gotta be a seal gone bad somewhere... I'd be talkin' real soon to the lead mechanic at the local dealership!

If they don't have a technical reference manual for your model tractor - they'll sure know where to get one. It'll have a pretty blue and red diagram that illustrates where the hydraulic system circulates in your tractor.

Let us know what you get figured out; thanks.

AKfish

/ 1966 JD 1020.. On the ropes i think!
New theory-

I was talking to a mechanic friend.

due to the rapid onset of the problem.. he was thinking that i may have plugged a vent line when i got it stuck. pressurizing the hydraulic resivouir and forcing fluid where it shouldnt be.

good theory.

I have a service manual at home on CD.. I'll have to look tonight.

JP

/ 1966 JD 1020.. On the ropes i think!
ok.. vent theory not that good. :0) cap is the vent.. it was gunky, but not too bad.

BUT!!! I discovered that contrary to what the mechanic thought, I have a power steering boost pump on the front of the engine below the fan. It's an accessory drive kind of thing.

SO... there is where the two systems meet.

getting into my parts manual now for schematics on what kind of seal is in there.

nice to use my new garage at my new house for something worthwhile!!

JP