1978 JD 401C

/ 1978 JD 401C #1  

cowboypride

Tractor
DS4110 HS
I have a 78 401C that I'm trying to remove the backhoe from. It has a working 3 point/PTO that I would like to use.

I am the third owner and heard that the backhoe has likely never been removed. I have the cotter pins removed and have tried lightly pounding on the pins and can't get them to budge.

Any hints?

First the pins are so tight it's hard to tell when they are unloaded. How can I tell if the pins are loose and ready to come out if they are rusted/frozen/corroded in there?

I'm also having a heck of a time pounding them in. Outwards and they would hit the tire or fender. Should I take the tire off for this? Is there an easier way that I'm missing?

How hard can I pound the pins? I'm going to call JD to see if they make replacements. If so I can not be so scared about defacing them.

Lastly assuming I find these answers and can get the pins out will I ever be able to get the hoe back on? This is the furthest thing from a quick hitch and will require aligning 4 pins fairly preciously to get them back in.

Thanks for any help the community can offer.

Last edited:
   / 1978 JD 401C #2  
First. I'd be sure which way they should move. Then I'd use a threaded type socket press - sort of like a puller but heavier built. Put a couple of tons pressure on the pin, and then heat the cast while adding penetrating oil to the cast/pin interface.

Second. If that didn't do it, I'd give up. No sense in tearing something up that's been that way 40 years.

/ 1978 JD 401C #3  
If it went together, it will come apart...eventually. Hang in there and keep soaking it and don't give up.