1980 Ford 1700

/ 1980 Ford 1700 #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
Okay guys here we go again, posted a while back about my son's 1939 Ford 9N that he inherited and turned out it has a cracked block. I was telling my neighbor about it and they have a 1980 Ford 1700 that I have ran before but has not run in over five years and I did try to buy it several times when it was running. well now they are willing to sell for 2500. but it has set out in the weather with nothing over the exhaust and I did notice a nest of some kind on the right side of the motor hopefully it is only a birds nest rats and squirrels tend to do damage. what should I look for and how can I tell if there is rust in the motor from the rain getting in?

/ 1980 Ford 1700 #2  
If I can make a suggestion...

Don't buy a broken tractor. Buy one that you think is in 100% running condition (and there will still be something - hopefully something small- wrong with it).

I'm a huge fan of the Ford 1700. I own one myself. It's been in the family for 35 years.

I would not pay 2500 for a machine in the condition you described. A non-runner is a parts tractor. You can get a really nice Ford 1700 4wd for five grand. You'll have 5 grand in this one if there is anything wrong with the motor.

If it is a 4wd with a loader, I'd pay no more than 1500 for it.

Doesn't help with your original question, but... it's the internet :thumbsup:

/ 1980 Ford 1700
Thanks for the reply, the neighbor looked on line and found one for 4200. I had to remind her it was running and ready to work and she replied that her's was running when the starter went out and her husband says it is just the solenoid. The starter is not really a big deal the tractor sitting in the weather for over five years is what worries me.

/ 1980 Ford 1700 #4  
I would not buy it if I couldn't at least spin the motor over, it would have to run before I would pay $2500.

/ 1980 Ford 1700
I would not buy it if I couldn't at least spin the motor over, it would have to run before I would pay $2500.

I am thinking I need to put some oil in the cylinders before it is spun over. but does not look like they are willing to deal, I may have to let them keep it sad tho because her dad would not let anyone ride that tractor except himself,his daughter and me. I would like to have it but not at that price.

/ 1980 Ford 1700 #6  
Smart move. If it would run with 'just the solenoid' replaced, her super mechanic husband should get that done and sell for more money.

'Ran when parked' is translated to: It ran, it stopped running, we parked it where it stopped running, and we have no idea what's wrong with it.

/ 1980 Ford 1700 #7  
I just bought a 1981 Ford 1700 with 5ft brush hog for $2600. It runs great and everything on it works. It has some wear and a small fuel leak at the petcock but it's a working machine. Deals are out there if you look.

/ 1980 Ford 1700
I just bought a 1981 Ford 1700 with 5ft brush hog for $2600. It runs great and everything on it works. It has some wear and a small fuel leak at the petcock but it's a working machine. Deals are out there if you look.

Thanks, I made her an offer of 1500. and they have not spoken to me since. I hate dealing with friends and family.

/ 1980 Ford 1700 #9  
I love "it last ran when parked" lol that's always a big joke on mechanical things with my friends.

But, you could re approach them and tell them you'd gladly give them $2500 for a running tractor and proceed to make it run "before" you buy it (with their money to make it run of course). That way you can make both of yins' happy as I'm sure they'd like to see a neighbor have it instead of the junkyard scrapping it for parts (very likely).

Steve