3-Point Hitch 1995 JD 6400 3 point conroller

/ 1995 JD 6400 3 point conroller #1  

Hypnotk

Tractor
1995 JD 6400
I've had this tractor for a little while now and its the first tractor that I've owned. Can anyone help me with the controller(mouse like controller) in the cab? I don't think I'm using it right. I know the buttons on the side make the 3 point go all the way up and down. Then there is a little roller dial thats light gray and the slider. Some reason I think I'm moving it incorrectly because the hitch tends to get "confused". The box on top of the 3 point burned up and I replaced it and think that maybe I burned it up by not using the controller right. There is also a dial to the rear of the controller but it just free spins so not sure that is even working. Is there a certain way you are supposed to use the slider? Thanks.

I would post a pic but not sure how on this site. Does it have to be Hosted somewhere?

-Lance

/ 1995 JD 6400 3 point conroller #2  
:welcome: to TBN

Do you have the operators manual?

To post a pic, click on "Go Advanced" by the quick reply. Then you will see "Manage Attachments". Click and you will see "Add Files" Click and you browse to fine the pic you want on your computer, or wherever. Once found, then click on "upload".. All there is to it.

/ 1995 JD 6400 3 point conroller #3  
How do you mean "confused"? Does it move up and down if left in middle setting? Which knob in pic is the one that turns around and around? It is not a good thing for any of them, but I am guessing it is the one labeled 1 - 5? The other 2 are under the flip up cover you may not even know exists. The 1 - 5 knob is load and depth sensitivity knob and can definitely affect hitch operation to act "confused". Try setting knob at the 1 setting to see if it improves. Are you getting a rockshaft light flashing at you? Most likely you will need to get a dealer to plug into it and retrieve error codes to isolate where the problem is. You may also need to get rockshaft calibrated to get it to work properly after steppermotor replacement. As for your original question, there is no right or wrong way to use the sliding control. stopping at any point should result in rockshaft position staying where you leave the control. If not, then any one of the sensors or the computer controller could be bad or out of calibration. The control that spins all the way around will most likely need to be replaced to get a good calibration, even if it is not causing the present problem. Each control is moved through its. normal travel during calibration and if values at each extreme of knob movement is not in spec, calibration will fail.

Attachments

• 6400 3 pt.PNG
    6400 3 pt.PNG
    157.6 KB · Views: 128
   / 1995 JD 6400 3 point conroller
One picture shows the type controller I have. the other pic I couldn't delete before posting. The dial behind the controller doesn't seem to work. It just spins. Sometimes when I'm raising the 3 point and I slide the controller and it won't move or its delayed. It will shake sometimes as well but not very often.

Attachments

• 34278775_large_6014.jpg
    34278775_large_6014.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 225
  • thumbnail_34278743_large_34567.jpg
    thumbnail_34278743_large_34567.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 290
How do you mean "confused"? Does it move up and down if left in middle setting? Which knob in pic is the one that turns around and around? It is not a good thing for any of them, but I am guessing it is the one labeled 1 - 5? The other 2 are under the flip up cover you may not even know exists. The 1 - 5 knob is load and depth sensitivity knob and can definitely affect hitch operation to act "confused". Try setting knob at the 1 setting to see if it improves. Are you getting a rockshaft light flashing at you? Most likely you will need to get a dealer to plug into it and retrieve error codes to isolate where the problem is. You may also need to get rockshaft calibrated to get it to work properly after steppermotor replacement. As for your original question, there is no right or wrong way to use the sliding control. stopping at any point should result in rockshaft position staying where you leave the control. If not, then any one of the sensors or the computer controller could be bad or out of calibration. The control that spins all the way around will most likely need to be replaced to get a good calibration, even if it is not causing the present problem. Each control is moved through its. normal travel during calibration and if values at each extreme of knob movement is not in spec, calibration will fail.

Is the dial behind the controller is that the "load and depth" control? Is it supposed to free spin or should it have a place that it stops? I've replaced the steppermotor last year. It fried. What is the "rockshaft"? I know these are dumb questions but I came from a 1 acre home to 170 and I've never had anything bigger than a push mower. I've got most things figured out by getting Youtube certified ;) but this 3 point just doesn't seem to work right.

/ 1995 JD 6400 3 point conroller #6  
Asking again.. do you have the operators manual yet?

Assuming not, so maybe someone who has one will chime in with specifics on the controls. Sounds for certain, that the dial that "spins" has failed.. needs replacing, and then calibration done. (per jd110)

Asking again.. do you have the operators manual yet?

Assuming not, so maybe someone who has one will chime in with specifics on the controls. Sounds for certain, that the dial that "spins" has failed.. needs replacing, and then calibration done. (per jd110)

I bought a manual online but I guess there are parts that don't come with it. Seems there are sections missing. I didn't see in what I have that talked about the controller. Thank you.

/ 1995 JD 6400 3 point conroller #8  
You might get something from this video.. shows the frustration of going through the codes, but may give some additional clues with purpose of switches. (check out the end few minutes for a quick review of the hitch actions)

64 hitch problem solved ! - YouTube

Another video discusses the various hitch control modes available, and it may help with better understanding and deciphering what might be wrong or where you might be missing some of the details.
64 hitch problem solved ! - YouTube

Last edited:
   / 1995 JD 6400 3 point conroller #9  
Is the dial behind the controller is that the "load and depth" control? Is it supposed to free spin or should it have a place that it stops? I've replaced the steppermotor last year. It fried. What is the "rockshaft"? I know these are dumb questions but I came from a 1 acre home to 170 and I've never had anything bigger than a push mower. I've got most things figured out by getting Youtube certified ;) but this 3 point just doesn't seem to work right.

The knob behind the controller, going from 5 counter clockwise to 1 is the Load/Depth control.
I can't answer about turning free. My tractor is 6 miles away.
Replacement of stepper motor requires calibration of the HCU Hitch Control Unit. This might be your problem, not recalibrated.

Rockshaft refers to the shaft that the cylinders lift/lower. There are arms and links that attach to the lower draft links of the 3pt hitch.

On the controller:

There is a sliding lever that to the rear raises the lower draft links, forward lower them. 0 = raise, 9 = lower. It has stop for depth (amount lowered to). There is wheel outboard of the sliding lever you push down on to rotate, it moves a stop inboard of the sliding lever.
If the sliding lever is moved all the way forward the draft arms will be in "Float"
A Raise/Lower Switch on the near to operator side. This switch will raise the draft links to limit set by the Height limit dial under the rear cover. It will lower the draft arms to the setting of the sliding lever.

Under the cover to the rear is two dials. Nearest one limits raise height. Counterclockwise for lower maximum height , clockwise for higher maximum height. Far dial adjusts the rate of drop, how fast the lower draft links drop. Something heavy can be adjusted to drop slower.

The knob behind the controller, going from 5 counter clockwise to 1 is the Load/Depth control.
I can't answer about turning free. My tractor is 6 miles away.
Replacement of stepper motor requires calibration of the HCU Hitch Control Unit. This might be your problem, not recalibrated.

Rockshaft refers to the shaft that the cylinders lift/lower. There are arms and links that attach to the lower draft links of the 3pt hitch.

On the controller:

There is a sliding lever that to the rear raises the lower draft links, forward lower them. 0 = raise, 9 = lower. It has stop for depth (amount lowered to). There is wheel outboard of the sliding lever you push down on to rotate, it moves a stop inboard of the sliding lever.
If the sliding lever is moved all the way forward the draft arms will be in "Float"
A Raise/Lower Switch on the near to operator side. This switch will raise the draft links to limit set by the Height limit dial under the rear cover. It will lower the draft arms to the setting of the sliding lever.

Under the cover to the rear is two dials. Nearest one limits raise height. Counterclockwise for lower maximum height , clockwise for higher maximum height. Far dial adjusts the rate of drop, how fast the lower draft links drop. Something heavy can be adjusted to drop slower.

Ok, makes more sense now. I'm pretty sure that 1 to 5 dial is broken. To re calibrate the stepper motor I have to have a dealer do it or there are some mobile mechanics around, could they do it? Thank you for your help