1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy?

/ 1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy? #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
I traded Milkman from Western Ky a Boxblade for a Single Bottom Plow. Had never used it sooooo today was it's maiden voyage to plow in Pulaski County, Ky. and my virgin experience plowing and my first time using my geared B2320.
Transported the plow to my rental property on my new 4'x8' single axle trailer that I took in on trade for the Golf Cart. Cute trailer that can be moved by hand on level ground, not like my 16' dual axle trailer.
Made 1st video with plow installed (Used straight back QH's, not the stand up or down QH's I had installed the day I got the tractor) on the B2320.:eek:
Made 2nd video with the plow really installed on the B2320,:thumbsup:
3rd video is plowing from the drivers seat and going thru some of the experiences of first time plowing, trying to drive and make video facing backwards and first time using new B2320 geared tractor.:D
4th video is after a couple of passes down the row.:cool:
Actually made 4 or 5 more passes which made it wider and turned it back and forth a few times. Hit wet muddy clay at far end which clogged up my plow for some slow down. Will till it all next week and still have plenty of time for planting by Mothers Day.
YouTube - SANY0003
YouTube - SANY0004
YouTube - SANY0007
YouTube - SANY0008
I'm sure there are plenty of people that could have done this much better but they didn't show theirs, I'm showing mine. Don't feel one bit less of a man for my efforts. I'll get better.:laughing::cool::thumbsup:
If you want to see it done right and better watch this site. They can't be beat.
How To Video Demos - Implements & Attachments

/ 1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy? #2  
Sure brings back some old memories.

/ 1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy? #3  
Very nice, looks like you were having a lot of fun with your plow. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

/ 1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy? #4  
Well, we should have a plowin' shootout...cause I just bought a new Leinbach for my BX2660. Some contest that would be for I'm a beginner too. The plow worked okay, the tractor worked okay but the plowing didn't go so good. That BX really isn't the best equipment because of the wheel alignment and it sits so low. A video would be full of laughs because the field was full of deep erosions and hadn't been plowed in 50 years. What a rodeo that was. The neighbor was still happy with my work, and it was free.
The front tine 8 HP rototiller finished the job for him.:eek:

/ 1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy? #5  
Congratulations John. You gotta change that picture so it shows all 4 Botas!

Well, we should have a plowin' shootout...cause I just bought a new Leinbach for my BX2660. Some contest that would be for I'm a beginner too. The plow worked okay, the tractor worked okay but the plowing didn't go so good. That BX really isn't the best equipment because of the wheel alignment and it sits so low. A video would be full of laughs because the field was full of deep erosions and hadn't been plowed in 50 years. What a rodeo that was. The neighbor was still happy with my work, and it was free.
The front tine 8 HP rototiller finished the job for him.:eek:

Yea, I plow (subsoil/rip) a little with a BX too. I'm afraid we'd lose to John for sure. Straight gears with a real low pullin' gear vs. our 2 range hydrostatic, taller tires vs. our squat little things; he's got us beat hands down.

Hey John, does that thing have position control or quarter inching valve, and how'd it do for you keepin' the plow where you want it? Be nice if draft control were available.

/ 1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy?
Congratulations John. You gotta change that picture so it shows all 4 Botas!

I will be able to get 4 together when I bring the B2320 home to till my garden, but will never get the 5 together. The F2680 won't ever make the trip home since I have the F3080 at home and will never take the F3080 or RTV1140 (Probably not the RTV1140) to the rental property.

Yea, I plow (subsoil/rip) a little with a BX too. I'm afraid we'd lose to John for sure. Straight gears with a real low pullin' gear vs. our 2 range hydrostatic, taller tires vs. our squat little things; he's got us beat hands down.

Hey John, does that thing have position control or quarter inching valve, and how'd it do for you keepin' the plow where you want it? Be nice if draft control were available.
It does not have position control just quarter inching valve. Saw in sale booklet that apparently position control is available on one B2320. I just dropped the plow and took off and ocassionally I'd hit something, maybe a big root that would stop me. I'd just lift the plow a bit and it'd go and I'd just drop it, locked into end of drop position/maximum drop position and go. I had position control on my L3240HST and it was OK but I've never really been bothered concerning 1/4 inching vs position control with what I do. I'll probably always plow deep what little I'll do it so that it being off an inch or so will never bother me and the same with my boxblade and the tiller locks into depth with it's feet/runner.
I can see where the B clearance is better for plowing since I was driving in the plowed rut to get the next row and the BX would have been really close to bottoming out at the depths I was plowing. Tilling would probably not be much difference between them.
I tilled with my BX's and never had a problem other than some times if the dirt was really soft deep and making turns which I think the B may retain better control with the taller tires, but not a major problem.

/ 1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy? #7  
Ok, I am going to give you all the tips on plowing that I have. There aren't many and it won't take me long. I've plowed exactly once.

You should use your gauge wheel to control your depth. Get it as deep as you want it and go drop the wheel to sit on the sod.
Adjust your coulter so it's cutting the sod a few inches deep as you go along. Will make for easier plowing.
Don't plow back and forth. You should be rolling the sod into the previous furrow which means you plow from right to left on the plot.
Speed... go fast enough to roll the sod cleanly into into the next furrow but not so fast that it throws it beyond the next furrow.
There's a lot to getting a plow tuned right, and I know next to nothing about that. A properly tuned plow will pull a straight line with the least amount of hp required.

Well, that's about all I picked up at that plow day event up in Georgetown a few weeks ago.

I defer to my signature for any errors above. :)
Ian

Last edited:
   / 1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy? #8  
Ok, I am going to give you all the tips on plowing that I have. There aren't many and it won't take me long. I've plowed exactly once.

You should use your gauge wheel to control your depth. Get it as deep as you want it and go drop the wheel to sit on the sod.
Adjust your coulter so it's cutting the sod a few inches deep as you go along. Will make for easier plowing.
Don't plow back and forth. You should be rolling the sod into the previous furrow which means you plow from right to left on the plot.
Speed... go fast enough to roll the sod cleanly into into the next furrow but not so fast that it throws it beyond the next furrow.
There's a lot to getting a plow tuned right, and I know next to nothing about that. A properly tuned plow will pull a straight line with least amount of hp required.

Well, that's about all I picked up at that plow day event up in Georgetown a few weeks ago.

I defer to my signature for any errors above. :)
Ian

Actually pretty good advice and very similar to that contained in the Everything Attachments video. A lot of people plow too slow and too shallow.

I use to plow for a living and enjoyed it though I used a little bigger tractor with position control which I prefer way over quarter inching. I doubt that I could do worth a darned now though.

/ 1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy? #9  
I was watching the new EA video where they were pulling the leinbach low pro plow with the bobcat tractor. I noticed that the coulter was cutting a line about 2" to the right of where the plow was trying to break the sod. It's almost like they had the coulter mounted to the wrong side of the main beam.

Watch this video and pay close attention to the 8:30-8:35 mark.

Ian

/ 1st Ever using a single Bottom Plow on a B2320 Comedy? #10  
I hadn't watched it that far, but you are right. On our plows, the colter left a very clean cut where the plow followed right in the same path.

I haven't plowed in a while and need to go up and look at ours, we have a couple sitting around somewhere.