1st rule of welding, is?

/ 1st rule of welding, is? #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
Get comfortable!
The other day I had to build a support arm, built it out of aluminum. Not as strong as I use to be for some reason:mad:. Used a 1 7/8-inch hole saw to cope the ends of the aluminum pipe. When I started to weld, man did I ever struggle! I made my way through the project, but was no where near satisfied with the quality of welding! Don't get me wrong, I've never been much of a Tig weldor, I'm more of one of those guys who pulls the trigger, running 350 to 400 + amps, splicing beams together.
Anyway I coped some more pipe, and did a little practicing. After burning my fingers a few more times I remembered I should be using a pipe wrench, or this chain vice grips, so I don't have to rest my hands on the hot base metal. Did make it a little more comfortable to weld, and didn't burn my hands!:laughing:

Attachments

• 1st bracket.JPG
    1st bracket.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 495
  • 1st rule.JPG
    1st rule.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 618
   / 1st rule of welding, is? #2  
You are so right, and it seems the more fatigued I am the more likely I am to forget to do this.

/ 1st rule of welding, is? #3  
Are you sure the first rule isn't "Be Safe"?:confused::thumbsup:

/ 1st rule of welding, is? #4  
Good looking weld you put on that. You are correct about being comfortable. Any stick weld you make you should be sitting if you can, use two hands to weld with and have one elbow against something to help with the steadiness. With the tig rig you have the advantage of being able to walk the cup and that helps a lot, but you should always walk the cup around on a dry run first to make sure you are comfortable as you roll your wrist or move your arm position.
I have never had a steady hand but I made a lot of good quality and good looking welds by being comfortable. I always tell new people learning to weld that if they want to be good at it they should make every weld as good looking as they can and they will get better and better. Of course, now that I am older and lazier I don't follow that advice myself anymore :laughing:

/ 1st rule of welding, is? #5  
Don't weld in flip flops or gym shorts without underwear! I read that last one somewhere!:ashamed:

/ 1st rule of welding, is? #6  
Chain Bender said:
Don't weld in flip flops or gym shorts without underwear! I read that last one somewhere!:ashamed:

My best friend welds in flip flops all of the time, what a dork, he ends up doing the hot slag dance often.

/ 1st rule of welding, is? #7  
My dad used to weld on heavy equipment (he was an owner/operator of dozers, etc). One day he was welding wearing "high water" pants, loafers and no socks. He ended up with 1st and 2nd degree burns on his lower legs and ankles (very painful and ugly). This was during the 1960's and the emergency room doctor thought he had been exposed to a large amount of radiation and called the local army base! Well, it was radiation of a sort. The moral of the story is be careful and use all necessary safety equipment.

/ 1st rule of welding, is? #8  
No synthetic clothing. I saw a guy at work years ago weld in a poly work shirt and it looked like and onion sack it had so many holes in it. I always use cotton as base clothing and leather boots. I do like the FR welding shirts as i think they are much cooler.

/ 1st rule of welding, is? #9  
Oh and cover up the bare skin. I have had a few V shaped large blisters from radiation burns on my chest from not having my shirt buttoned up high enough. Goofy looking and painful too.:eek:

/ 1st rule of welding, is? #10  
Much good advice. I basically don't OWN clothing which isn't suitable for working safely. The last pair of "shoes" I bought went with my dress uniform years ago. That won't get worn again excepting a funeral.

All boots, all the time unless I'm in the pool. (Bonus, keeps your legs strong.)

All cotton black T-shirts, all cotton jeans, then add sunscreen and PPE as required.